Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
local garage is gunna be servicing my rear drumd on wed 2/8. threy quoted me $156 for parts and labor to turn the drums, and new pads/shoes. I thought this price was decent, thoughts?

also, my car has 50500 miles on it, the brakes have been grinding in the back for maybe, 5-7K miles. is this an expected interval to replace them? I replaced the front rotors & pads with slotted rotors and posiquiet pads about 7-10K miles ago. It's definetly noticable that the front is doing a lot of the work right now.

anyways.....thoughts?

·
Registered
597 Posts
why not do them yourself? it's pretty easy, and you guys with the later cars don't even have to fuss with repacking the wheel bearings.

~$25 for shoes, $5 ea drum to be turned = $35. that leaves $121 to be spent on something fun. :)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well...I would...if I had any clue on how to do it, and if I trusted myself with something as important as brakes.

but if someone wants to tell me how, I'd do it for sure! Don't you need special tools to replace drums???

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
i absolutely HATE drums. i would spend the money on someone to do it before i touched them.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I concur, drums are a PITA. The springs, and levers are very frustrating to work with. When I did service on them I ****ed up the seal on the drum cylender. I ended up taking it in to a shop to fix, and I had to pay for a new cylender in addition to the other parts.

As one of my friends said "There's two things you don't touch on a car, Drums and Exhaust".

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Having done them myself, they are a complete hemmorhoid times 2... The special tools are pretty inexpensive, but I would rather spend the money to have someone else do them. Just be sure to have them inspect the cylinders to ensure there is no leakage.

I actually have to redo mine, but I think I am just going to replace the whole knuckle/drum assembly ( I think I have a bearing that is going and would rather replace the whole wheel assembly )...

·
Registered
597 Posts
they aren't super easy like discs but they're not THAT bad. :sleepy:

as for 'special' tools (?) needle nose pliers & a flathead screwdriver will do it. the hardest part is just unhooking & re-attaching the springs between the shoes, you need a good grip on the pliers & a little muscle.

·
Registered
597 Posts
can everyone see that picture?

[body] well...I would...if I had any clue on how to do it, and if I trusted myself with something as important as brakes.

but if someone wants to tell me how, I'd do it for sure![/body]
I can post the rest of the procedure (if the above pic shows) for reference. at least you have the right attitude compared to the others. this stuff really is easy once you do it that first time and its satisfying work. oh yeah, and there's that wad of cash to put towards new parts or to save for a turbo or whatever...

but for the sake of a disclaimer, if you really are not comfortable then take it in. however, I suggest you at least take the drum off & look at the guts to see what's going on in there.

too bad you are not closer as I would help you out for the low low fee of a cold 6 pack. :D

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Originally posted by pucci
[body]
at least you have the right attitude compared to the others. this stuff really is easy once you do it that first time and its satisfying work.
[/body]
It's not easy and it's not satisfying. Trying to fvck around with the springs using a pair of needle nose plier leads only to bloody knuckles. You're better off paying 8$ for the spring tool to get the shoe assembly off:

Getting everything off is easy... putting it back together is a b!tch. On mine, with the new shoes, everything adjusted to minium... I still needed to pound the drum back on...
Not fun. After that I experience, I'd honestly rather change the timing belt than mess around with the rear drums...

For a $150... you'll be way ahead... totally worth paying someone else to do it.

[Edited by Tugger5000 on Feb 6, 2006 7:22 PM]

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the feedback guys. I normally would be doing it myself with the help of a buddy who is ASE certfied, but we had a falling out so now I don't have that resource available(oh well)

I am going to have the garage do it, but I know the mechanic/owner very well and he's gunna let me watch when they take the drum off, so I can at least see the "guts".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts