Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 2.7 powered sonata,want to get the most out of it without going broke,I have already put high folw air filter,and exhaust,but I think I made it worse,because bank2 is lean,and I lost what little low end torque I had?Is this just a tuning issue,and can it be fixed,or am I GONNA HAVE TO GO BACK TO STOCK PARTS!? I tried to reseting my adaptives,but the light still comes on. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS!!!:confused:thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
whats the trouble code?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Some 2002 MY Sonata and Santa Fe and 2003 MY Tiburon vehicles equipped with 2.7L V6 engines and Titanium O2 Sensors may experience the following conditions:

Check Engine light on.
One or more of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) stored in the ECM:
B1/S1: Bank 1 (RH, Dash panel side)/Sensor 1 (Before Catalyst).
o
P0133: Front O2 circuit slow response bank 1.

P0134: Front O2 circuit inactive bank 1.

P1134: Transition time problem O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1.
B2/S1: Bank 2 (LH, Radiator side)/Sensor 1 (Before Catalyst).
o
P0153: Front O2 circuit slow response bank 2.

P0154: Front O2 circuit inactive bank 2.

P1154: Transition time problem O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1.

This bulletin explains the procedure to correct the condition by reprogramming the ECM software.
Global Service Way
check here,
they have a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) if your vehicle was made before from 7/1/2001 to 8/15/2002 the dealership may need to reprogram the ecm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember,I beleive PO171,which ever is bank 2 running lean.I went ahead and put the third cat back on today,and reset my adaptives,and drove it about 27 miles,and so far no light,I had originally took of that,resonator,and stock muffler ,with just the 2 precats and a super 40 flowmaster. I am guessing it was just a little too much for the stock tune. I don't really notice a difference in sound with the third cat back on,so maybe i got it. So what other cheap mods can I do to my delta? I take it your tibby has one?Would like to see another 25 hp if possible,maybe some extra torque considering how little these engines make.I got this car for free with only 46,000 on her.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Next Generation Motorsports - Hyundai Tiburon Performance Parts
i'm pretty sure most of that stuff will work without modification (maybe some clearance issues since its a different engine bay) everything in there is either for the 2.0L beta or the 2.7L delta

the Stage IV upper and lower intake manifold although pricey have proven like 24whp increase. but then again the clearance issue, its real close to the stock tiburon hood. idk what it would be like on the sonata.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Weird,just As Soon As I Posted ,i Got Your New Post.is This Something That My Hyundai Dealer Will Do As A Recall?
i would guess it depends on the dealer. since its a TSB and technically not a recall they can charge you....

i suspect that it was the cat that you removed messing with the bank 2 lower o2 sensor. but it should be good since you installed it back.

more stuff
HMASerivce

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks joe.I have been on next gens web site drooling quite alot.so the manifold you are talking about,I thought that was for the sniper S.C ? So if it can be used like you said,that with a large bore T.B,and that light wieght crank pulley they offer,hmmmm? Will I have to tune it ? Because I don't even know if I can get stuff for that year sonata for sure.Not to sound dumb,but I would guess I am probably the only guy wanting to do this stuff to a sonata!how about hand porting the stock stuff?I aint rich,my wife and kids get most of that green stuff!THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME JOE.

·
Registered
686 Posts
he just started doing reflashed ecu's you should sign up to the forums, Hyundai House of Power Forum and ask him if he can do sonata's yet. he's made a 200whp n/a reflash

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2002 2.7 powered sonata,want to get the most out of it without going broke,I have already put high folw air filter,and exhaust,but I think I made it worse,because bank2 is lean,and I lost what little low end torque I had?Is this just a tuning issue,and can it be fixed,or am I GONNA HAVE TO GO BACK TO STOCK PARTS!? I tried to reseting my adaptives,but the light still comes on. HELP ME PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS!!!:confused:thanks.
I can answer a couple questions. I put Tiburon headers on my sonata and it was a bolt on. Also use a short ram intake cone filter. Works well. I also fight lean codes but have found that it is due to the MAF not keeping up with the constant airflow. The MAF heats a wire and the rate at which it cools sends a signal to the cars computer about intake along with other sensors in the system. When I want to pass emissions, I put the stock air box back on, reset the computer and it passes after a few miles driven. The stock filter slows the air down enough to fool the computer enough that nothing is wrong or modified. I don't run any cats and I pass easily.

Also, I highly recommend a strut tower brace for the Sonata.. it helps cornering. As for more power.... not much to do without going forced induction.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts