Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did check the search but no real answer that I Could use so here is the question.

I've been turboed just recently (900 miles driven) and I am getting white/blueish smoke (meaning I am burning oil): I am runing Garrett/Airesearch T3 60 turbo (bought new) on a 2.0L RD1 with new Wiseco forged pistons , BOV is venting to atmosphere. Anyway, When I start my car and leave it at idle I am not getting any smoke and there is no "oil smell" in the exhaust.

I am starting to smoke mostly after driving a while and usually when I have to stop at the stop light and it starts almost immediatelly when I stop and hold it at idle. Sometimes it smokes just a small amount of smoke and then it stops but sometimes it is smoking enormous ammounts of smoke and it does not stop.

Also there are days when there is no smoke at all.

I have checked intake piping, compression and there is no problems at all. I haven't checked the turbo yet since I am wiatin gto get to the shop to be able to lift the car up and take the downpipe out and check the oil traces. Any good advice from you guys?

One of the suggestions that I got is that maybe my oil line is to long so the oil pressure going to turno is to high causing oil the enter exhaust pass the turbo seals.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am thinking along the same line, the oil pressure running to the turbo might be too high causing the seal to leak.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
what size oil feed line are you using? if it is too big and you arent running a restrictor, that can cause problems.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the same problem dude...i was crop dusting...haha i got a -10AN drain line and a -3feed line from tuner toys.com, mostly honda civic stuff but they where excellent at helping me out...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I am guessing that might be the problem. I have found some small amount of oil in my BOV. Guessing that this just confirms that my oil line are producing to much pressure to the oil feed. Not sure about the size of the oil lines since all of lines needed were custom made at the local tuning shop and I just guessed that they will make correct sizes. My bad probably :-D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well since the turbo was just installed oil is still settling down.

After first 650 km I had to add additional 8 dcl of oil. After another 450 kilometers another 1,5 dcl of oil is missing. But guys at the tuning shop said that I will probably need to add some more oil soon as my engine was totally stripped and cleaned and new pistons were put in so they are expecting that oil consumption should settle down after first 1500 km (or 1000 miles) after the whole engine gets "soaked" with oil as it should.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I am sure that pistons and piston rings aren't my problem.

I have new Wiseco's inside but we checked the compression on all cylinders anyway. And everything is fine all 4 cylinders have exactly the same compression which wouldn't be the case if any or even all piston rings would be worn. Also I am not sure that I would get oil in my BOV if the piston rings are worn ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts