Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I posted this on t-h-c.org General Forum but no one answered, so I decided to come over here and give it a try.

OK, now I want a factory tachometer in my car because I don't want to drill holes and connect grounds and stuff like that. The GL model instrument clusters came with analog clocks on the left hand side, the warning light prizm in the middle, the fuel and temp gauges on the bottom middle, and the speedometer on the right side. The GLS model instrument clusters came with a tachometer in place of the analog clock, and the clock moved to a spot on the dashboard. I could probably get one to clip onto the visor, so the time is no problem(I wear a watch anyway). There are three connectors and the speedometer cable plug on the back of the cluster. I know that I can transfer my speedometer to a different cluster because it is held in by two screws and the speedometer houses my odometer and trip odometer. Now comes the hard part-will the GLS cluster plug right into the GL model connectors or is there a special connector on the back? Please help because I know you guys know Excels.

Help!
-ExcelGL1468cc

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
There was a How To on this somewhere for an X3 Accent, which I assume would generally be the same. I'll see if I can find it for you.

--------------------------------------------
I drive a slow car.
0 to 60 in 11 seconds (look out!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4doorGL-
Well, I finally decided to buy a GLS cluster from a black 88 GLS three-door hatchback(thats the body style I have). I took the speedometer off of mine(its easy-there are two screws on the back that hold it on). I put it in the GLS cluster and I plugged it in. I connected all connectors, put the negative battery cable on, and started the car. It works!! The tachometer uses the plug prong that the clock used. I am glad that it works because now I have a cluster that has properly working warning lights(the oil pressure light didn't work on the GL cluster). Just thought I'd let you know that it works!
-ExcelGL891468cc

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
Sweet man, so the tach is functional and everything then?

--------------------------------------------
I drive a slow car.
0 to 60 in 11 seconds (look out!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah everything is functional!

I like the tach because I can shift at MY own shift points and I know when I'm approaching 7k revs

I also took my car to Delaware this Sunday. I actually came back about a half hour ago. The little Excel worked great! I didn't have the fright of it breaking down on the trip!
-ExcelGL891468cc
'New and improved with a tach for added pleasure. Use only as recommended on the label.'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts