Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a little research I have found that contrary to popular belief; your t15 turbocharger is in fact servicable.

Turbo repair kits for t15 turbochargers (please add any links you have to the list!)

www.gcg.com.au/catalogue/Turbos - Repair Kits/repair.html

www.capa.com.au/turbo_repair.htm

http://www.dwdiesel.com

And there is a brief article here in webtech that will tell you how to dissasemble your t15 down to the cartridge (core)

http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394871400#_394871400

After you have it dissassembled, remove one of the turbine retaining bolts (intake or exhaust), remove the turbine, and remove the remaining shaft/turbine by pulling it out of the other side. You will then be left with your empty bearing/seal housing. Ready for inspection and service.

And let's not forget, our turbocharger made it onto a lot more equiptment then just cars. Do not rule out diesel repair facilities or heavy equiptment service shops as these little beauts made they're way into small diesel box trucks, industrial generators, and other various heavy equiptment. In fact, in an article I found:

"In 1953, a prototype turbo, designated the TO2 (not to be confused with today's automotive T2 series), was tested with enormous success. It did everything it was supposed to do and did it for more than 1800 hours without a glitch. Based this success, a more viable and less complex unit, the T15, was designed. CAT placed an order for 5,000 units for their now famous D9 tractor -- the forerunner of the world's most successful production crawler tractor. As a result, the AiResearch Industrial Division of Garrett, commonly referred to as Garrett-AiResearch, was formed in 1954 -- the first corporation solely dedicated to the design and manufacture of turbochargers."

The entire article on the history of turbocharging can be found here ->
http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2002/news/042501.html
and makes for VERY good reading.

A turbocharger design that old and used in that much equiptment still has service parts available, they didn't just abandon you. You have to not narrow your searches for parts to automotive sites. This turbochargers ability to produce boost at low RPM's made it VERY ideal for small displacement diesel engines. You can bet hyundai even used it in they're industrial equiptment before they ever thought about using it on a car. Parts ARE out there.

It sure beats all the headaches, money, and low RPM sacrifices you were going to make if you thought there was no life after your t15 died.

- Matt

*********** UPDATE ***************

The mighty "sealed for life" t15 turbocharger

1: Contrary to popular belief there are no ball bearings in this turbo. Not sure where I heard that from, but they are not in there.

2: If you plan to rebuild one yourself, you will want to take the newly built cartridge to a turbo or deisel center and have them rebalance the shaft <- DO NOT skimp on this part!

3: I neede no special tools other then some propane heat to help with some stiff bolts. A set of allen heads for a socket set is VERY benificial for this project.

4: Don't accidently drop it on it's front while working on it like I did :(

5: Nothing is "pressed" on/off/in anywhere on this thing. follow standard turbo dissasembly procedures.

6: Without further adue ->

*BOW*

Garrett t15 OEM part numbers for hyundai scoupe turbo type.

Turbo complete:

OLD OEM # 466287-0001 OR 0002

SUPERCEEDS TO: # 466287-0004 OR 0005

Turbo cartridge:

OEM # 435362-5006

Generic turbo model #'s:

28231-22151 OR 22152

- Matt

[Edited by SupaCoupa on Dec 2, 2004 3:09 PM]

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I would see the T15 dying as a chance to upgrade to a real turbo, not as a hindrance. The part about not being serviceable though is that the center cartridge is sealed, i.e. you cant rebuild the bearings, etc w/o destroying it. Most center sections are rebuildable, in that you simply pull the shaft out, throw in new bearings, seals, and clean her up, and its good as new.

But yeah, most diesel repair shops are very familiar with smaller turbos and could be able to help. Industrial shops dont really deal with anything similar to automotive though, most of their experience are with engines that basically run steady state (generators).

Good enough to sticky imo.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Yeah!......great post Matt, very informative!.:)
Nick.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jo0r welcum :D

And not to try and argue with anyone, but if there is a rebuild kit for this unit, it is rebuildable. Hyundai shows you how to strip it down to the cartridge. From there the only thing that would be in your way is instead of the turbine wheels having a retaining nut, they are pressed onto the shaft. I have seen no evidence of this, but even if it is so, any machine ship will be happy to press/remove the wheels or bearings and seals for pennies on the dollar compared to a new turbo, or upgraded setup. I do agree that it is a good opertunity to get a mans turbo, but a lot of people are just not ready to get into that. Why force them? Just my .02

Good luck to everyone!

- Matt

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got my turbo rebuild two year ago, and I didn't understand how come people said it wasn't seviceable. Bearing being press on a shaft are easy to remove and vice versa and the turbo is made out of two parts and bolted together so why it wouldn't be serviceable? I wouldn't want service it myself, the shop I sent it to told me that they have to rebalance the shaft before they put it back together (I am sure the shaft wasn't that out of wack). When I did install the turbo I had more power but I think the bottom couldn't take it and slowly blew my rings (not instantly though over a period of 8 months).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
updated.. and no longer a stickey? Hurry up an take down the info for those of you who may need it.. because it has been replaced with a post about the changes made to the 2000 accent... fascinating stuff..

- Matt

[Edited by SupaCoupa on Dec 2, 2004 3:07 PM]

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You know Supa, since you have been on this board, you have done nothing but contibute helpful information. I commend you. Too bad others don't.

Yeah, your correct...:ermm: The changes to the Accent are SOOOoooo much more interesting...:duh:

Too each their own...

[Edited by rab71 on Dec 2, 2004 5:53 PM]

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you.

I am just trying to be part of something. If people didn't take the time to contribute there wouldn't be anything but chaos on this planet, and there certainly wouldn't even be the internet.

Right now I am just trying to clear up any misconceptions I can on the board. The "sealed fro life" t15 and the ecu are two of my first and foremost. And I try to do that with backup to the facts. I don't wanna point a bunch of fingers and call everyone wrong. I just wanna make it all right. We can get ahead a lot further and faster this way.

Yes the t15 is measley. but for those who are willing, use the information correctly, source the parts, and do the job, they can be back on the road for about 200 USD and that includes the balancing. And even more importantly, they learned something. Compare that to the easy outs normally offered:

"buy a t2" or "they are about 1200 from the dealer" or "go here and get a used one with no warranty for 200-400 USD with only 90k on it" etc, etc, etc..

Why bother? you can have a basicly brand new cartridge for 200 bones balanced and assembled. And if you care for it properly, 100k can be expected from it. And you gain experience.

Perhaps I am at an unfair advantage here. I have over a decade engineering experience, electronics experience, computer associated fields experience, and I'm a car nut. But a individual only need posess a digital camera and some free time to do exactly what I am doing. Grab something mystical or misunderstood on your car, tear it down, explore it, know it, take pics, and post it.

I am currently taking a break from the ecu project. There are a few companies that now offer the tuner box for hyundais (yes, it's pricey). I was thinking more DIY for cost effectivness. But the fact is that I am expanding my business and the holidays are here, and I am just too damn busy. But I will not abandon it completly, and I will be back on things soon.

Until then, thanks for the kind words, enjoy the holidays, and I'll be lurking here and there helping out with the little stuff.

MODS:

The forums are loaded with DIY's and there is little room for stickeys anymore. Why not open back up the tech pages and try and condense some of this info there. Or at least tell us why the tech pages are still there, but unlinked. I just don't understand it.

- Matt

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I dont know how/why its not stickied anymore, but it is now again. BTW, i dont remember the pics being there before, maybe the edit did it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skierd,

There could be too many reasons for why it unstuck itself. But the post dropped out after you added the accent changes post. I didn't notice it till after I added the pictures though. maybe it unstickies itself if the origonal poster comes in and edits the origonal post. Thx for fixing it tho. Any news on why the tech pages are unlinked? I've seen some floating outside links to some posted here n there. I sure would like to take a peek myself. it just seems the index and link to the index were removed.

- Matt

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Thats Rob's territory there, not mine. :ermm: I'll bring it up though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Matt

How you doing ?

Xmas is arriving late for you, I just replaced my T15 and you are welcome to have the compressor housing. I was fortunate enough to meet someone on this board who also lives in South Africa and drives an Scoupe GT. He changed to a T3/T4 Hybrid and sold his old T15 to me for a song (the previous owner of his car had done about 30 000km with it).

If I remember correctly you said that you had dropped yours and its now cracked or damaged.

Let me know if you still need it and we can chat via email to discuss the details !

Later
Devan;):

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had to cum on this hyundai website just because i have been watchin for months people talk about things they dont no i own a 1999 accent and i could tell u everything u need to no about the car

·
Registered
86 Posts
:evil:

[Edited by shiuko on May 12, 2005 2:52 AM]

·
Registered
181 Posts
hello

its good the forum is back on!!

uhmm i dissassembled my old turbo too, i have much play on the shaft. so if i would replace the bearings, balance the shaft it would be good again?
i want to repair this turbo, maybe to sell or maybe for a twin turbo project.
i probably sounds impossible but it is possible, only have to have the time and space.

but my question is, where must i look at also? dont have cracks or anything.

i understand that the front bearing keeps the oil out of the compressor housing?
or does the front journal thrust plate do that?

hope anyone can help me!!

thanks

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
fixed

·
Registered
24 Posts
scooperman said:
Hi Matt

How you doing ?

Xmas is arriving late for you, I just replaced my T15 and you are welcome to have the compressor housing. I was fortunate enough to meet someone on this board who also lives in South Africa and drives an Scoupe GT. He changed to a T3/T4 Hybrid and sold his old T15 to me for a song (the previous owner of his car had done about 30 000km with it).

If I remember correctly you said that you had dropped yours and its now cracked or damaged.

Let me know if you still need it and we can chat via email to discuss the details !

Later
Devan;):

do you still have your t15 or do you know anyone who has one? i am looking for one.
thanks man..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading manufacturers

Yellow stone diesel parts plant is one of the leading manufacturers
of engine parts, in particular diesel fuel injection system
accessories for replacement, such as Fuel injection Nozzle, Plunger and
Delivery valve, ETC In south of china .

for more detail please visit our website : Nozzle,elment,plunger,injection,diesel fuel injection,spare parts
Nozzle,elment,plunger,injection,diesel fuel injection,spare parts

Yellow stone diesel parts plant was founded in 1997.Over the years,
Yellow stone has grown and gained a reputation for producing
high quality products and delivering them on time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts