Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yeah basically i start up my noise and now the engine is making a tick tick tick noise i have no idea what it is im guessing valve timing the engine is going? and i know my tranny is practically going to damnit!! and then when i took a corner really sharp it started smoking it smelt like rubbing wow what a mess any suggestions on what it could be?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh **** so it might not be something going wrong with my engine thats the best news ****! but does that mean my cars burning oil? because i do need a oil change im past my mileage!! and yeah i bet its because i broke some wheels studs and my wheel holes are a little bent its prolly rubbing

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sometimes if your overdue on an oil change it will cause a car to smoke as well!! If I go over my oil change and when its due I get smoke out my exhaust but as soon as I get an oil change done its fine and the only time it will smoke is in the mornings when its extremely cold out!

·
Registered
737 Posts
your ticking is probably the typical hyundai lifter noise if you have enough oil in the car(self explanatory)
If your car sits for a day or two the lifters will be noisy until the oil temp/pressure come up. Run it hard for 10 minutes or so and it should go away after the car warms up.

If your tires are rubbing the fenderwells you will smell something burning. Other then that you might have an oil leak(valve cover is common) that is hitting a part of you block or exhuast and will cause almost instant smoke and a foul smell(i hate the smell of burning oil).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ticking in hyundai engines is usually timing chains and guides that are loose. 2.5L and 2.7L. If you have ticking in the 2.0L , 1.6L or the 1.5L then it could be that the spring buckets are sticking in the bores. There are not lifters in these engines. All cam over valve. Ticking also could be a valve clearance issue also.

·
Registered
502 Posts
hey my friend has the same problem and its because of his valves.
His valves are broken so hes leaking oil and then the car starts ticking, and if he presses the gas to hard he will smell oil.
get your valves checked to make sure.

<--third person to suggest valve problem

·
Registered
737 Posts
hlas (hydraulic lash adjusters) I said lifters because that is what they are. It's the hlas that make noise as most hyundais don't use timing chains(other than driving the second cam in the beta and deltas) you wouldn't hear timing chain noise. The cam(s) work directly against the hlas(lifters) which then actuate the valves. If you read up the hlas gum up very easily. Once the oil temps rise the ticking will go away, does everytime in my accent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
andy was right heated up and the ticking went away it was just the common hyundai noise. But the bigger problem is on my new post!!! check it out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts