Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, before i get flamed for this topic, i have searched, over and over with no luck....
anyways, my problem is this, I live in Fredericton New Brunswick Canada, it's starting to get below freezing nights now, I bought a used 2004 accent gs, 1.6L DOHC MTX, only mods done to the engine so far are a cold air intake and changer the battery and the spark plugs, and only one oil change so far. the car cranks over great, not a starter or battery prob, so i assume it is either fuel, or spark... right? but the wierd thing is, it works fine any other time, just on really cold mornings, once it has ran on those mornings, it will start fine after, but that firt start up in the morning will sometimes take several tries, probably close to a full minute of cranking in total (not a minute straight) What I am wondering, is if anyone can tell me, are these cars naturally cold blooded like this, or do I have a serious prob here?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try using a 70% Coolant and 30% Water
I think total capacity of the cooling system is 3.5l, so 2.5l of coolant and 1l of water!

Pure Water
Freezing Point: 32 Deg F (0 Deg C)
Boiling Point: 212 Deg F (100 Deg C)

50% Coolant 50% Water
Freezing Point: -35 Deg F (-37 Deg C)
Boiling Point: 223 Deg F (106 Deg C)

70% Coolant 30% Water
Freezing Point: -67 Deg F (-55 Deg C)
Boiling Point: 235 Deg F (113 Deg C)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Living in Canada...

I'm surprised you aren't really informed about cold starts. Here in Alaska, there was a big movement... Cars dont like cold weather. There are a lot of different ways in order to prep your car for the cold start.

1. Battery Heaters
2. Oil Pan Heaters
3. Engine Block Heaters

All of them work, and I used 1 + 3 on all my cars up here. It usually doesn't get much colder than -5 degrees in the winter, so just plugging in your car 2-3 hours before you use it warms it up enough so it starts better and has better emmissions.

Howie~

P.S. Use at least 5w40 oil in the winter if not one step thinner... 10w40 is too thick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts