Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most struts look like a long rectangular shape, but on my new springs the backs look like a triangular coil. According to my drawing which way do these rear springs attach to my car? Does the larger part attach to the bottom wheel (like a triangle) or does the larger part attach to top strut mount (like an upside down triangle). sorry for the drawing I can do so much in a rush to work and also on a laptop pad.

Second question. What size bolts are these on the struts? (taken from the sticky)

Thanks for the help. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
probably a 17mm or 19 mm, you pull up on it using a breaker bar or an impact gun.
remember righty tighty lefty loosey lol
also, the wider part of the spring at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i honestly don't remember which way the springs in the back go, but just look at it when you take it off, they will only fit correctly one way....

·
Registered
589 Posts
pic #1!!! i went to hyundai to buy new bolts , they are cheap and you will get the right ones for sure. the head is 17mm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. The springs im referring to are still new in the box and Im planning to install them hopefully tommorow if its not raining.

Just to recap the bolt sizes:

The top strut mounts uses (1 for engine knock sensor)10mm and (3)12mm bolts. And the bottom mounts use 17mm bolts. Are there any other bolt sizes Im missing? Does the brake line and speed sensors also use a 17mm bolts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I done a prefitting today and found out that the actual bolt sizes I would need would be 10mm (knock sensor), 12mm for top three strut bolts and brake line, 19mm for that one bolt that sits on top in that plastic cover top, and 17mm for the bottom strut bolts.

Just thought this would be helpful for anyone doing future projects with new struts and springs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First I would like to thank Skierd for posting up his helpful guide and also this place I found with other detailed information. Also the people who help answer all my questions for preping this project. If it wasnt for the internet Id probadly end up paying the dealership 1grand to install all four struts and springs due to not having the knowledge.

Well after several cuts, blood, and will power I finally got them installed. In total it took about 5-6 hours. I would of finished much faster but it kept raining and stopping all day. The struts are really not that hard to install, just make sure you dont stripe a bolt. I almost did it twice. Turned out that it was the rachet socket that caused the problem because they were old sockets.

And for people scared of the old mighty spring compressor?
It is cake. Last night I kept asking myself what if the spring compressor broke and took my left hand with it while taking off the top bolt. Once I was I hands on with the spring compressor it was cake. Just tie down the spring compressor on both sides (or the way the manufacturer of the spring compressor states), and let the impact wrench do all the talking. Make sure you use a impact wrench, because it saves alot of time, not to mention you wont risk striping the spring compressor bolt, because you will be using it atleast eight times. It took about 2 mins to compress, and decompress a spring with the imapct gun. With a regular wrench it would of probadly taken about 20-30mins. I say the most time consuming process of it all was tightening the bolts from the spring compressor to the spring.

Ride quality- My car has about 62000 miles on it and its a 2000 4Dr Accent automatic. I really havent tested it out competely. I did notice a huuuge improvement from my neighborhood speed bumps. Before when I went over the speed bump it felt like a pogo stick from back to front. It felt very bad. When driving over little pot holes in the road, I would lose traction and would have to steer with both hands. When waiting at a turning stop light, when huge cars would pass by the car would wobble left and right due to the draft. Now when I go over the speed bumps they are smooth as butter. Theres barely any hop when going over a speed bump. I cant really explain it in words but it rolls smoothly over the bump.

Last but not least ( i asked this millions of times)- The bolt sizes that you will need is 10mm, 12mm, 17mm, 19mm, and huge socket for the spring compressor. Also a phillips head to detach the rear brake lines. Dont worry with the brakelines, all you do is pry it off from the rear struts. Also make sure you get a deep socket 19mm for the rear struts. Because the back struts do not work with a regular 19mm socket. I had trouble fitting it with my rachet.

You will also need a rachet, impact wrench, a towl (because it gets really nasty), wheel jack and an extra stand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts