Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I started my car and turned on the headlights and my parking lights came on but no headlights. If I turn on the brights they come on. Has anyone had a problem like this. please help!!!

·
Banned
9,547 Posts
Did you make sure that the bulbs are not burnt? remeber high and low beams are 2 seperate elements. So your lows can be burned but your highs will still work.

It does seem unlikely that both would go at the same time. But it doesn't hurt to check

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it out. After looking over the schemetic a few time and taking some readings at the headlights I figured that the dimmer switch was not passing a ground when in lowbeam position. When in highbeam I had 2 hots and a ground, when in low I had 3 hots not good. Hope that if anyone else has a simular problem this helps.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Did you buy the car like that? It seems like that's something that'll just not work if you have 3+ and no grounds...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The head light relay sends a ground to the dimmer switch which in-turn switches one of the wires to ground depending on if you are in high or low beam. My switch was not switching the ground on when I was in low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a very similar issue. My 2005 Hyundai Accent low beams are not working. The high beams only work if I pull the turn signal light multi-switch back but the high beams do not work if I put them in full-time high beam. I checked the voltage at the headlight bulb when on low beam and all 3 connections read high, just like the original poster. Has anyone found the solution to this? There IS NOT a headlight relay on my '05 Hyundai Accent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cause of 3 headlight wires high...

I figured it out. After looking over the schemetic a few time and taking some readings at the headlights I figured that the dimmer switch was not passing a ground when in lowbeam position. When in highbeam I had 2 hots and a ground, when in low I had 3 hots not good. Hope that if anyone else has a simular problem this helps.

I found out that there is actually a headlight relay under the driver's side dash that, when it is bad, will cause there to be three highs at the headlights. You can find it between the side of the car and where the hood latch is located.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the identical problem on my son's 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. Low beams suddenly stopped working. High beams work fine either on full time or by pulling the switch to pass/momentary position. Checked all relays & fuses, everything checks good, bulbs are good. The electrical connector into the headlight housing has 6 wires.
When you look at the connector on LEFT side from top to bottom - Orange, White wires, MIDDLE Black and Black, Right - Red and Green.
With High Beams ON, Orange, Red, Green wires HOT, no readings on White or either Black.
Switch to LOW beams, Red & Green are HOT, and NOTHING on Orange, White, and BOTH Black wires.
WHERE and WHAT do I check next?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts