Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last winter i would start my car and it the heat would be warm when i got inside it 5 minutes later. this year i let it warm up for a while, and still have to drive a few miles to get it warm. even then, when i come to a stop it blows cold air. someone suggested a vacuum leak? new headers are the only major engine upgrade since last year. any ideas? thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try replacing your Thermostat. I just bought one from the Dealership, $17 Candian for the Thermostat and $4 Canadian for the Gasket. Then goto HMAservice.com and look at the shop manual on how to replace it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you think so? the gauge inside seems to work fine, it goes up when the car gets warm. still think that could be it? thanks

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Did this happen all of a sudden?
And does it ever really get warm?
Did you just install a new deck, or take apart your dash?

If you answered yes to one and three, then your heater control wire has come undone, its right next to the gas pedal. A small plastic wheel that lets hot air in when the nob is turned. Its happened to me three times...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive run into that problem too. it does get warm after a while. just not as quickly as last year. last year i noticed it would be warm while driving, then cool when stoppped, but this year its worse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry for not replying sooner, but I wanted to replace my thermostat first to ensure that's what it was.

My symptoms were that the car wasn't blowing as hot as it use to, and it took 3 times as long to warm up. Also whenever I was sitting at a light, it would start to blow cold air.

My car is a 2002 that I've owned since Nov 01 and I have 182,000 kms on the ODO.

Today my dad and I drained the coolant. Removed the Thermostat and replaced it and the gasket. We also replaced the upper Rad hose because it was leaking coolant from it and I had a build up of dried up coolant. You won't have to replace that if it's not leaking. After putting the parts back on, we filled it up with new coolant using a 50/50 mixture. Ran the car for 5 mins and it was hotter then it's ever been. Also the temp did not drop while I was stopped.

This same thing happened in my 89 Probe at one time and I changed the thermostat on it and had same results.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If it's not your thermostat, and the guage is reading that your a proper operating temp but you are still not getting the hot air... then it could be something in your heating system? Maybe the mechanics to route the coolant into your heating system is bad? (jammed/warped/seized/stretched cable?) If that is all good then there might be a clog somewhere in the system. Popular spot is right inside the heater core. Check to see if there's a spot where the surface goes from hot and suddenly gets a lot cooler. If so, then remove the heater core and flush it and try to get all the clogs out. It's easier to run the water through in the reverse direction.

Hopefully it's just a thermostat; it's easy to replace. Mine went last winter and it's a 2001.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same problem the car dose not heat once in a will. What i found was tht it was blowing cold air wen wating at red light and then sudently start blowing hot air will accelerating... like if a bypass valve was sending to hot water to the front rad. It seam to be related to the speed and not the temp of the coolant.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
First off he can test the thermostat before spending the money to replace it. Second just because that dummy gauge is reading "normal" doesn't tell you alot about what your motor is doing. That thing has a HUGE range for what it calls "normal". They did that because people would freak out after driving the car hard and the temp gauge would rise. Do this.. turn your heater on after the car is warm. Ok it's blowing warm air right. Now find a nice long stretch of road and floor it down the length of that road. Keep the temp controls in the same positions and see if you dont want to take that sweater off because now superhot air is flowing out of your vents. Temp gauge is still reading what it did before that run. I can see the same thing happening in reverse if its cold enough out and the thermostat is busted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts