Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hyundai Accent won't start, turns over, but won't start. So I need some opinions on what you guys think is wrong...

Here is the data

1) Compression test is fine, cylinders 1 and 4 were @ 210 psig, and 2 and 3 were at 215
2) We tried to get spark off of a screwdriver from a spark plug wire (spark plug side, of course), but no spark
3) Car was sitting in some relatively deep water about 2 weeks ago, and it died a week ago. It did get 4 to 6" of water on the inside, but not enough (I think) to reach the computer, but possibly the fuse box
4) Car stopped working during idle and parked, and hasn't started since
5) Battery tested good @ 13V and the computer has no codes listed or problems shown (at least not using the Hyundai chip/communication through the Snap-On diagnostic, I have to use General to read the computer, but it has always been that way).
6) No funny noises or leaking oil.
7) I tested all fuses and relays with a test light... all working.
8) I tried to see if the injectors were getting a pulse, but when I did the compression test I didn't smell unburnt gas, and the test light showed the injectors weren't working.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading this, and your input.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
definitely sounds like the crank position sensor, hopefully nothing fried in the ecm. also, how's your fuel pressure? is the fuel pump turning on? i think the horn relay and fuel pump relay are interchangable (hehe hi andy!), if you dont hear the pump engage when you click the key over to ACC/ON (dont have to go to start to hear it) try that. none of those fuel related bits matter if there's no crank signal though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I figured it was either the crank sensor or the ecm/ecu.

I can't hear the fuel pump turn on, so i'm guessing that is one sign lol

I've tried switching those relays already, but nothin doing. I'm going to try and see if I can hear the fuel pump again... I live just outside of Houston where the chemical plants are, so it is quite loud out here.

ETA: I couldn't hear the fuel pump turn on, so i'm guessing it is the ecu now...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts