Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Tiburon FX, 2.0L, 5spd, and lots of miles (222000km). Pretty much everything is stock, no aftermarket air intake or anything.

It is has no top end power! The power drops off around 4000 RPM, and the engine won't rev past about 5000 RPM, even out of gear. It also seems to make some kind of air sound above 4000 RPM, is that normal for this engine? It seems to idle okay and run smooth in the lower rpm range. There is no check engine light.

I recently replaced the front oxygen sensor, plugs, PCV, air filter, and fuel filter.
The previous owner supposedly did the timing belt and alternator. He also said the car sat unused for about a year.

From talking to people this could be anything from a bad MAF, Fuel Pump, Dirty Injectors, Bad TPS, Vacuum leak...

Anyone have any ideas? Or trouble shooting tips?
I have access to an OBD2 scan tool, is there anything specific I should look for?

Also, is it normal for the TPS to range from 8% off the gas pedal to 88% full throttle? I would have thought it would go from 0% to 100% on the OBD2 scan tool.

Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
8% and 88% is normal

if it was your maf you would have a cel (check engine light)

same with fuel pump it would probably read as a misfire in the higher rpm's

when you rev as high as you can does the cel start blinking? that will indicate a misfire.

to check for a vac leak start the car and then spray carburetor cleaner all around the throttle body, the intake manifold, any rubber hoses (vacuum lines) if u do in fact have a leak you will hear the car either rev up or bog down.

·
Registered
499 Posts
First, I would check the air filter and maks sure that it is not clogged. Second, I would make sure that the throttle does really open all the way when you floor the accelerator. Third, I would check that the timing belt was installed properly and that the cams are not retarded a tooth or 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No CEL flashes while driving.

What is the best way to check the timing?
I was looking at hmaservice.com. It seems that I would need to remove the timing cover, rotate the engine until cylinder1 is at TDC, then check to see if the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprockets timing marks line up with marks on the engine. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
686 Posts
yes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I sprayed some throttle body cleaner all around the intake manifold, throttle body, and vacuum lines. The engine just idled away, no changes. The only line that I really couldn't get to is a rusty solid line that goes under the brake booster, anyone know what this one is for? Could I temporarily disconnect it? Also, would I need to rev the engine up a bit while doing this to find a troublesome vacuum leak?

I double checked the air filter, it is fine.
I double checked the TPS, when I floor it on the hwy, the scan tool reads 88% TPS. But I noticed that the top bolt that holds the TPS on is broken off...wtf? There is about an 1/16" gap between the tps and throttle body at the top by the broken bolt and the bottom is tight. I sprayed lots of cleaner in there but I don't think it was getting into the intake. Pressing on the top of the sensor caused the idle to change a little. Was that because it moved the sensor or something is wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Also, the replacement O2 sensor that I got was from a local auto parts store, not from $$$Hyundai$$$. Is it possible that it is bad / not to spec / out of range ??? It was a direct fit, not a universal. It's a Standard Motor Products (Blue Streak, BWD, ACI, etc.). Anyone have problems with this brand?

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, I would check the air filter and maks sure that it is not clogged. Second, I would make sure that the throttle does really open all the way when you floor the accelerator. Third, I would check that the timing belt was installed properly and that the cams are not retarded a tooth or 2.
You are so STUPID and your advice sounds like crap as you are not a mechanic. Your advice has nothing to do with rpms not exceeding 5000 rpm! Maybe you should look in the mirror and wonder who really is retarded here. You may be autistic get off of this Forum you IDIOT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
STUPID IDIOT! BULLET IN YOUR HEAD WOULD BE NICE AFTER YOUR CRAP FAKE AUTISTIC ADVICE. PRICK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts