Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with my 2003 Santa Fe (4cyl, 2.4L) dying out of the blue. I can be driving for 20 miles and it's fine, then all of a sudden the RPM's are erratic and I lose power. Any thoughts on what it could be? Help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for all the help.

Well, so much for getting some insight around here. Guess we'll just have to go somewhere else for help. And I thought this would be a good place to post for some help. Right.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
sorry about that friend..welcome to the boards...BTW

it seem's like you have a ignition problem..

we have been having a trickle of santa fe' and tucson's stalling...

probably a bad supplier of the ignition compnents.

all i can say is take it to yuor hyundai dealer and they should cover the problem under warranty.. unless you have over 60K miles..

try to replace the coil pack's first..a bad coil pack usually cause's the engine to misfire and cause vibrations.

·
Registered
687 Posts
It's still kinda hard to diagnose...

Your description of the problem is vague. Vibrations? Noise? Could be a lot of things, but a bad ignition woudl cause a problem throughout the whole powerband, no? Sounds almost like a fuel problem to me personally.

It should be covered by your warranty, unless you drive A LOT.

Howie~

P.S. Any Check Engine Lights posted or other hazard warnings on the dash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The check engine light is on (no noise or vibration) and I have had it hooked to the machine and it just indicates ignition coil primary/secondary malfunction (P0350). But with their being two it doesn't say which one. Is there a way to determine which one is bad and not waste money on both? Oh, and I have about 85,000 miles on it so warranty is out. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has the check engine light and you can't determine the problem until after you drive for about 20 minutes. It runs fine after you get it up to 50, but you have to do so verrrrry slowly because it's not wanting to accellerate. I had it hooked to the machine this weekend and it said ignition coil, primary/secondary coil malfunction (P0350). Any ideas on how to determine which coil is bad? There isn't any vibration or noise, just stops wanting to accellerate from stop and then tries to stall if you don't keep your foot on the accellerator. It also has about 85000 miles on it, so no warranty for me. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
492 Posts
check the resistance in your coils and make sure they are within spec. if not then replace them. also check for burn marks, that is also a sign of a bad coil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm new here so do not know all the threads. I'm sorry, I thought the Santa Fe was the right forum. Still, 200 reads seems to be pretty used to me. But thanks for your suggestions and making a new member feel welcome and not chastised.

I would like to thank the members who did respond. Thanks. I will try checking the coil resistance and burn tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I appreciate your response. Apparently I've posted in the wrong spot for help. I will check the coils resistance and burn marks. Again, thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where is the primary/secondary ignition coil P0350 Santa Fe 2002

Hi,
as you can tell I am a real rookie. Can someone please tell me where the secondary/primary ignition coils are? I have a p0350 code and would like to take a look at it myself.
regards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
did you find out which coil had the problem? I am running into exactly the same symptoms as you and don't know which coil it is. Actually, where are these coils? Do you have a picture of them? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The shop replaced the coils and it has been running fine ever since. I didn't want to take it to the shop, but am glad I did. Maybe this is a repeated problem with these models. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I don't think I've heard them called by primary and secondary. There's the 1-4 pack and 2-3 pack but I dunno which is secondary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Changed ignition coil

Hi,
I finally changed one of the ignition coils on the hyundai santa fe (4cyl). Before that the mechanic had recently replaced the timing belt. The idling is much better and it doesn't feel like it is going to stall. However when idling it still feels rough, even after warming up. Do you think it might have to change both coils? I just changed the one that smelled like burnt plastic. Maybe the specs of the new coil do not match the one I didn't change? Would that be causing this problem? Or it may be related to the timing belt that was replaced?

thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts