Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got the mold laid out in the trunk of my car i lined the area with masking tape before i put it on, the only problem now is.. I CANT GET IT OUT!!! how do i take this **** out of the mold?? :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

any special technique to get the fiberglass away from the tape

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
what type of masking tape did you use? the blue stuff will pull off really good. it should be easy to take the glass/tape mold with a little force, then you just rip off any loose tape and glass right over it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
regular manila colored masking tape

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
pull harder, and for future reference, check to see how well the tape pulls off before you start. i would just use blue painters tape.

did you lay it on metal?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i did it on the carpet & the plastic body panels

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
you should have probably layed some foil down too. some resin might have seeped through the tape, which will be VERY bad for whatever is underneath.

just keep pulling, hopefully its just giving you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope, no resin seeped through, i got it out, i just had to pull very very very hard lol

it turned out preaty good and held its shape, now i just need to build up on it

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
yep. build up on inside on the mold, then the outside of the fabric. doesnt matter on the fabric, because its just open space. build up on the outside of the mold though, and it wont fit anymore.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeap, my main problem was just getting it out lol, hey does it matter that the inside of the mold has a shitload of lumps in it where like chunks of fiberglass matt wadded up??

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kool, i have no airbubbles at all so i that part is all good, but i don't know if i made the box big enough so i may have to toss it back into the car and continue up on it, hopefully not, i'll just stuff the box with poly fill

[Edited by indefactorX on Dec 5, 2005 7:18 PM]

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
you can measure box volume with packing peanuts. you should do that before you resin over the fabric.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you sound like you're familiar with this, do you have pictures of an instalation you've done or just knowledgeable?

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
use duct tape and foil. the resin can not stick to those. but good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
duct tape would be damn near impossible to pull away from the plastic body panels though

·
Registered
886 Posts
if you just lay a ton of wax on the body panels it shouldn't stick to them, and you wouldn't have to lay any tape. But if you missed a spot or put it on too light in an area you are in some trouble.
Also I am not sure if you had lumps or air bubbles sounded like you said there were not air bubbles, lumps may be the type of mat you used.(it is hard to tell unless I saw them) Either way you can sand them down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PVA release is actually what the industry uses. Turtle wax works great. For the beginners, check this tutorial out - http://www.able-audio.com/tutorials/glass/glass.php

·
Registered
197 Posts
You know the correct way to use PVA is to use a partig wax with it correct?

There are also a few types of PVA, not all of them will work for application as such.

Originally posted by cxixer
[body]
PVA release is actually what the industry uses. Turtle wax works great. For the beginners, check this tutorial out - http://www.able-audio.com/tutorials/glass/glass.php
[/body]

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Originally posted by indefactorX
[body]
duct tape would be damn near impossible to pull away from the plastic body panels though
[/body]
actually you just pull it off and it's gone. then get some vinyl cleaner and it will remove the sticky substance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts