Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm planning to do a brake fluid bleed & replacement in the near-term future but I have a question about what type of brake fluid I should use--synthetic or non-synthetic. Talking to the local Hyundai dealer parts manager, he said my car came with non-synthetic brake fluid and that I should stick to the same type instead of switching over to synthetic. The sales manager at Autozone told me the same thing.

Is what they are saying correct or can I just bleed out my current non-synthetic brake fluid and use synthetic? I don't want the introduction of synthetic brake fluid to damage or deteriorate my brake system prematurely.

If I can go for synthetic, what brands do you guys recommend? If I have to stick with non-synthetic, which brands are good?

TIA,

Optimummind

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Sure you can use synthetic, but you will have to COMPLETELY bleed the entire system untill there is not a single drop of non-synthetic. And not to be rude, everyone is lazy, you dont want to do that. There is no real gain from switching. Its a street car so IMHO there is no use. Just stick with your DOT3 or whatever your dealer recomenmds and be happy:D

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the info. I went ahead and bought some non-synthetic brake fluid from a Hyundai dealer and bled and replenished the brake fluid today. Some guy told me I had to take off my wheels first but I did it by jacking up all four corners of my car and crawling underneath to bleed it. It was pretty easy except that it started to rain here when i was on my last wheel! :mad:

I still managed to finish the job though.

-Optimummind

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no real gain from switching.
Actually there would be. A Synthetic fluid does not attract water the way a conventional fluid does and since it attracts less water over the same period of time it will last longer. And a Synthetic has a higher boiling point so fading would be postponed in a stop and go situation in heavy traffic. Having said that in a normal day to day street car situation it is not necessary to use a Synthetic but anything that improves the safety margin in your car is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If you want an upgrade - switch to Motorcycle DOT4 fluid. Just the regular cheap stuff. Bel-ray or Motul are both good. Should be less than 7 bucks per 500 ml bottle.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want an upgrade - switch to Motorcycle DOT4 fluid. Just the regular cheap stuff. Bel-ray or Motul are both good. Should be less than 7 bucks per 500 ml bottle.
Can you explain to me the reasoning behind using motorcycle brake fluid and why it is NOT bad to use it in a car?

-Optimummind

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Because last I checked a Sport bike has far better braking than yours or any tiburon. DOT 3 cannot be used in most modern bike braking systems on bikes due to the lower boiling point of the fluid. Hense almost all bikes now use DOT4. Full synthetic gets into the retardedly high boiling points. Superbike racers "might" think of using it. I've raced with DOT 4 and had no issues - even when coming down from 260 kph hard on the brakes.

Why safe? Bike brake systems are exactly the same as car, just that they use far superior components. Ultimately the metals and rubbers are the same.

Any other questions?

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Full synthetic gets into the retardedly high boiling points. I've raced with DOT 4 and had no issues - even when coming down from 260 kph hard on the brakes. Ultimately the metals and rubbers are the same.
So you're saying that:

(1) Synthetic DOT4 bike brake fluid has high boiling point.
(2) You used bike DOT4 in your car and had no problems.
(3) The components in the bike and car braking system components are the same.

There are car brake fluids that are DOT4 synthetics with higher boiling points than regular car brake fluid. If the components of a bike's and a car's braking system is identical and both devices have the same DOT4 synthetic fluids available for them, then why do manufacturer's market DOT4 synthetic brake fluids, one for cars and one for bikes?

There must be some difference, no? Or is the difference simply that the DOT4 synthetic for bikes has a bit higher boiling point than a car's DOT4 synthetic brake fluid?

As for my driving style, I don't race and I hardly go over 80 mph on highways.

And as another member pointed out, I don't want to spend money at some shop to have them completely flush out my old non-synthetic fluid so that I can add in new synthetic brake fluid. I've had people tell me it's bad for my braking system to mix non-synthetic with synthetic.

-Optimummind

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Bike specific fluids are not far different from Automotive, however typically have higher tollerances and such in comparison to auto products.

Since you drive relatively non excessive, and do not race (and I presume no lapping days either) It is senseless to have a discussion about using high end products in your vehicle - synthetic or not.

Go to your local Hyundai Dealer and buy some Hyundai DOT3 brake fluid. It will work just fine, and exactly to specification. Part number is 084na26032 I believe. Comes in 500 ml bottles. A full litre to 1.5L is recommended to do a complete flush of the entire system.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go to your local Hyundai Dealer and buy some Hyundai DOT3 brake fluid. It will work just fine, and exactly to specification. Part number is 084na26032 I believe. Comes in 500 ml bottles. A full litre to 1.5L is recommended to do a complete flush of the entire system.
I don't think you've noticed yet but I did my brake fluids already last week and I posted about it several posts topside. :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
And we are having this discussion because....... You want to do it again? Change out the fluid? Trolling?

Here are the specs on the various fluids. You can research from this...

Bel-Ray Super DOT 4 Brake Fluid is fully compatible with conventional DOT 3 and DOT 4 products. It exceeds SAE J1703 and FMVSS 571.116 specifications as well as all DOT 3 and DOT 4 requirements for superior fade-free brake performance.
For technical info visit: Bel-Ray | Consumer | Technical Information

Motul RBF600 Synthetic DOT 4 Brake Fluid
100% synthetic fluid for hydraulic-actuated brake and clutch systems. Specifically designed to resist the high temperatures of actuated (steel or carbon) racing brakes and clutch systems.
EXTREME THERMAL RESISTANCE AND STABILITY: the elevated boiling point of RBF 600 FACTORY LINE (312 C / 593 F) enables effective braking even under the extreme conditions of competition.
VERY EFFICIENT IN WET CONDITIONS: the very high wet boiling point (216Éc / 420ÉF), is superior to conventional brake fluids and provides a particularly efficient braking system in rain and retards the apparition of vapor lock. NORMES : FMVSS 116 DOT 4 / SAE J 1703 / ISO 4925.
For more info visit Motul RBF600 Synthetic DOT 4 Brake Fluid

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And we are having this discussion because....... You want to do it again? Change out the fluid? Trolling?
Dude, what's your problem? Look at my first post. It was posted in the morning on the 21st of February. I asked a question and someone answered my question within the hour. Following his advice, I did the brake fluid bleeding using regular brake fluid and posted that I did it later on in the same day around 7pm.

-Optimummind

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Dude, I simply provided some more information for your resourses. Keep in mind MANY other people surf these forums and as such usually search for similar topics in the never-ending quest for information. Just because you might feel done with a topic doesn't mean it cannot be added.

At the same time, asking silly questions and pretty much asking to be spoon fed information (ie what is the difference) when information is readily available on the internet (spec sheets and the like are all online) does get on my particular nerves.

Sorry if I sounded like an a-hole but I say it like I see it, and I don't candy coat anything. I think if one is old enough to drive, one is old enough to hear information without it being powdered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts