Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I went to Arkspeedracing HQ in Ontario, CA and picked up a Fujita CAI for my '04 Tibby (4-cyl, 5-spd manual). Following the included instructions, I removed the stock air intake system and installed the CAI.

Upon starting the car, I heard a high-pitched murmuring sound coming from the engine bay. The sound is audible even with the windows rolled up.

After coming back home after the test drive, I examined the CAI and it looked like some parts of the metal tubing were in contact with other metal parts inside my engine bay. Thinking that was the cause of the noise, I took the CAI apart and re-installed it, this time being extra careful not to have the CAI touch anything metal.

I started the car again and the noise still came back! What could I be doing wrong? Or, is this a normal idle sound with a CAI installed?

Here is a pic of the Fujita CAI installed in my car:

All the clamps are tight, I used the included vibration dampener, as well as the black plastic piece that goes around the hole where the pipe goes through.

-Optimummind

·
Registered
959 Posts
its the sound of the air traveling through your cai and mostly your throttle body. its normal. mine sucks in so much air that its so loud but i also have a sup char and tur char.

take it off. you'll see that the throttle body still does it. the stock intake isn't just and intake, its also a noise reduction system. every car will sound different since only slight differences in construction cause major differences in sounds.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went in there again under the hood and I isolated the location of the sound using a long piece of hollowed-out paper tubing (one of those gift wrap tubings). The sound was originating from the end of the piping where the air filter installs to.

I started my engine and put my hand at the end of the tubing where the air filter goes and the sound disappeared. I also almost got my latex rubber glove sucked in!! :D

I think you're right. This is the noise I'm just going to have to live with. I did re-tighten the clamp holding in my air filter super, super tight to help minimize the noise though. I haven't started the car yet but I'm hoping for an improvement.

-Optimummind

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
It sounds like what you're describing is normal CAI airflow noises. I had to use some white lithium grease on the black rubber deal where the pipe goes through the hole in the fender to keep it quiet when driving though.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I believe you're right. Here is the pic of the end of the piping where the noise is coming from, with or without the air filter installed:

-Optimummind

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's an update to my "noise" problem. The noise got reduced by about half after I reinstalled the air filter a bit higher onto the piping end and tightened the air filter clamp really, really tight. The idling "noise" doesn't bother me anymore. :3_winkthu

-Optimummind

1 - 6 of 6 Posts