Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to drain and refill the manual transaxle fluid in my '04 Tiburon (4-cyl, 5-speed manual) but I can't locate the drain and fill nuts/bolts.

I got the inspiration to do this on my own after reading a thread but the pictures he posted were for a 6-spd manual Tiburon which have a different layout.

I found these on hmaservice.

Can anyone confirm what I think is the drain nut/bolt and also point out the location of the fill nut/bolt?

Shot at 2008-02-07

Shot at 2008-02-07

Thx

-Optimummind

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe that's the 1

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that's the 1
Do you know where the fill hole is? When I was underneath my car yesterday, I found that bolt in the diagram but I couldn't find the filler bolt/nut.

Can anyone else confirm? Once again, my car is a '04 Tiburon (4-cyl, 5-spd manual).

-Optimummind

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
The drain plug is correct. I pointed at the fill plug. It faces the front of the car and it's approximately horizontal, not at an angle. That should be enough to identify it.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drain plug is correct. I pointed at the fill plug. It faces the front of the car and it's approximately horizontal, not at an angle. That should be enough to identify it.
Thx, I'll go underneath my car again today and look for it. BTW, is the fill plug on a black rectangular-shaped plate?

BTW, I called the dealership but they said they would have to charge me to show me the fill and drain plugs b/c they would have to lift up the car? Is that messed up or is that standard business practice?

-Optimummind

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
That doesn't look right at all? I don't know. That's a different transmission than I'm use to seeing under a Hyundai (not that I've seen everything).

The filler plug's usually to the left of that location and not in a plate.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
The drain bolt is easy to find, its bronze in color and huge on the drivers side near the bottom of the trans.

The fill is the bolt is the red one in this pic (no this is not my car. pic stolen from an elantraxd.com thread)

I dont know what that yellow one is for but leave it alone (its angle downward)

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The drain bolt is easy to find, its bronze in color and huge on the drivers side near the bottom of the trans.

The fill is the bolt is the red one in this pic (no this is not my car. pic stolen from an elantraxd.com thread)

I dont know what that yellow one is for but leave it alone (its angle downward)

So is that engine from an Elantra? If so, is it the same 4-cyl manual transmission as in the '04 Tiburon?

Well, I'm planning to crawl underneath my car one more time tomorrow after work. If I can't find it, I'll just have a Hyundai tech show it to me at the next oil change.

Thx for your input.

-Optimummind

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
elantra yes, but same setup. The fill bolt is probably hidden under the intake if you still have your stock parts in.
So should I remove the air filter housing (top and bottom), disconnect the air intake tube from the throttle body, disconnect the MAF sensor, and access the filler plug from above?

Which direct do you think will be easier to reach the filler plug--from top or from underneath the car?

-Optimummind

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless you have some sort of pump you are going to need to get to it from the top. Getting the air box out should uncover it, but its been a long time since I've seen my engine bay with the stock intake in place.
Thanks so much for your assistance WytchDctr!!! After work today, I tried again and found the filler plug by looking at the Elantra transmission picture you posted. You were right! It's exactly the same location!! =)

It was a royal pain in the butt to un-screw both the filler and the drain plugs, though. I had to use some PB Blaster penetrating spray several times, while hitting the bolts with a hammer softly to loosen them.

I had bought 3 bottles of the official Hyundai MTF and I used about 2 & 1/2. My manual says the MTF capacity for my '04 transmission is 2.15 L.

I used a $11.99 Autozone siphon pump to transfer the fluid and the pump was solid and very useful. I'll never those cheap $2.99 siphon pumps again (as I did for the P/S fluid replacement)!!

Thanks once again!!

-Optimummind

P.S. I'll post pictures of my '04 Tiburon (4-cyl, 5-spd manual) transmission later. I'm off to pick up my girl and take the Tib for a cruise!

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, here are the pics I promised:

This picture shows the location of the MTF filler location (picture was taken while looking down into my engine):

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD1000 at 2008-02-10

The following two shots show the drain plug at different angles (pictures were taken from underneath my car):

Shot with Canon PowerShot SD1000 at 2008-02-10

Shot at 2008-02-10

I test-drove the car afterwards and I did notice smoother shifting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. The color of my original MTF was slightly dark brown but not quite brown. The replacement MTF, which is the official Hyundai 75W/90 oil, was tan brown/light amber in color.

This was my first time changing out the MTF fluid since I bought the car 3 & 1/2 years ago. My current mileage is a little bit over 58K.

-Optimummind

1 - 15 of 15 Posts