Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put a turbo on my 4 cly. Santa Fe, so I took a trip to pick and pull "the junk yard" and found turbo charged car, I grabbed the turbo and intercooler and got the manifold just to have a starting point. When I got home I pulled the manifold of my car and my luck the new manifold fits, I checked with kragen auto parts and as I thought its the same manifold gasket. So where I'm at now, where do I get the rest of my parts? I have a BOV but need new Injectors and computer right? where can I get this for a deal? I'm olny $130 into this, but I'm trying to prove to people I dosen't cost $1000 to turbo charge.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What kind of car did you pull the turbo from?

What kind of gains are you looking for? Are you JUST looking to prove that it can be done for cheap or are you attempting to do it for performance reasons? You should be fine with 440 cc injectors, SAFCII, and you can go to any machine shop and have them mandrel bend the pipes you need to fit your intercooler/turbo setup. Shouldn't cost much more than 500 in parts if you go to the right places. Labor is a different story though

Howie~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was a Eagle Talon. I have all the piping for the intercooler, I got most of it from the Eagle and some from a newer saab turbo, I have a 2 ton pipe bender to make the rest. I am looking to boost for power but do it at a "fair" price. I have a BOV and a Fuel Management Unit on order, and I know how to fool the map sensor. Where do I order the injectors from? What else is there to think about?

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Injectors are easy.. ANY boch injectors will work. vw,audi,saab,ford.. any car company that has that style will work. So if you can find some 400cc Ford Racing injectors for a steal, pick em up.

Find a local dyno shop thats cool and will let you rent the dyno for a day so you can tune it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I see this so much and I'm sure you all have a point but why 440cc injectors? He still never relly gave an exact reason. Aren't most of us on here to give our cars more power? I do happen to know however the 440cc's are too big to tune with just an SAFC/II/NEO. They just dump fuel like crazy.

If you happen to have an engine managment unit use that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would my stock injectors and fuel pump hold up to a 8:1 FMU? Also the oil pan is so F#$*ING small will my turbo have enough drainage:confused: ? I'm just a little worried about how low the drain will be sitting on the engine, I want the turbo to drain well.....

Thanks for the help:D ...............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dose anyone know where to place the oil drain for the turbo on a 2.4? The oil pan looks like a to-go box its SO small if I place the drain at the TOP of it, it's still only 1 to 2 inches from the pick up and I wouldn't think it would drain well, The pan can only hold 2 or three qrts. HELP?????

·
Registered
281 Posts
LOL! i'm all about this build! you should have grabbed the injectors off the talon. although for a 2.4l motor that saab turbo will prolly be way too small. if i was you, i'd swap to a holset hx30w, or hx35R. they came on cummins diesel trucks, they flow real well at low boost and even better at high boost and they dont lag much at all. my ex boyfriend has one on his 2.4l 4g64t mitsubishi motor (its swapped into a starion). anyways, i dont think an FMU will be enough to really keep the motor tuned right. atleast get an apexi SAFC or something. or you could go megasquirt for full standalone.

my dad rocks a 4 cyl sante fe, and he just bought a new car and i want to turbo this thing soooooooooooo bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have it running great, it has a mitsu turbo 14b, an 8 to 1 fmu, I have the fish check valves for the map, I have a way to loud BOV, a saab intercooler and piping, and I have replaced the spark plugs with cooler ones and closed the gap, and I now run 91 gas. As far as the injectors, ones off ANY other car WON'T WORK!!!! please everyone stop telling people they will, the 2.4 Santa Fe has some wack A$$ injectors the mitsu ones won't fit, and the shape of ALL the other injectors are WAY off. I'm running 7 PSI and it RUNS great, I drove it down to L.A. from Santa Rosa about 500 miles packed full of crap and I and the Fe love every minute of it I will post pics asap.

P.S. I can get on the freeway now without looking like a A-hole :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts