Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LC2 w/ auto, and I'm going to install a turbo kit to my car. Here is what i got so far; second gen. talon turbo with housing, oil lines, special fitting to oil filter for send and return lines (pressurized), turbo flange to be welded to a modified accent exhaust manifold, second gen talon injectors, downpipe, j-pipe, side mount intercooler, custom fitted piping, and blow-off valve. What else am I missing? What do i still need? How much boost can I run safely on a stock motor? What kind of problems will i have like a check engine light?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Unless you install some means of increasing the fuelling (such as a SAFC II piggy-back computer).....your car will run lean & detonate under boost.

Your blow-off valve needs to re-cycle the vented boost into the intake pipe (between the MAF & the turbo) to avoid bogging down pig-rich with each gearchange!.

Nick.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a MAF sensor, and what do you mean re-vent the pressure back into my intake pipe. Also where do I get the computer, could I run like 5 psi safely?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you dont have a maf sensor you dont have to worry about the bov venting to the atmosphere. You need bigger fuel pump, injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator though. A air fuel controller such as the apexi safc would be good.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Before you need the fuel controller (though I would go with the safc v2 unless you can afford e-manage, microtech or something of the sort) You need a bigger fuel pump. The stock pump wont hold up for much boost. Bigger injectors is practically a must... Rising rate fuel pressure regulator is a good start without a fuel controller if you have a way to monitor the air/fuel ration....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the talon injectors 2 big? Also what fuel pump do you recommend? and finally what fuel pressure regulator would you recommend? I would like to do the apex a/f controller, bodies of mine love theirs with their turbo civics. I am greatful for all the help I'm being given. How much boost can be run on the 1.6L DOHC?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I dont know alot about the 1.6's so I'll help as much as I can. Im not sure the talon injectors would even plug into your existing harness. Someone else will have to help with injectors... I would go with a 2:1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator. You can find them on ebay, Im using a malpassi. Does your car have a returnless fuel system?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
the talons should be fine, im guessing they are 450cc blue tops? if so you are straight for quite a bit more power than what the stock engine will hold im sure. look into a 255 walboro, you can get them on ebay for like 95 bucks shipped. maybe one used for cheaper.

definitely get at least a safc, if you have money emanage or some sort of standalone, like other members have said. what size oil lines are you running? you may want to invest in an oil restrictor to avoid destroying your seals.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
oh, and the injectors harness will have to be cut and the talon plugs wired in. theres a difference between obd1 and obd2 plugs. you will probably also have to wire up a resistor box? i feel like thats not the correct term, the accent and dsm most most most likely run at different impedence, and you will need the box to change it. you can pick them up all over the place at junkyards.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you install injectors that size without some type of fuel control the car will run like crap if it even idles.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like one person a few posts up said. The injectors on the DSM (talon) are Low impedence. You need high impedence injectors unless you plan on wiring up a circuit to be able to use the low impedence injectors.

It would be easier to just get some ford 42lb injectors.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Originally posted by omgbossis21
[body]
If you install injectors that size without some type of fuel control the car will run like crap if it even idles.....
[/body]
the fpr would be able to take care of that, but i wouldnt even try to run the car with bigger injectors and fuel pump. the ecu is only mapped for so much fuel and control.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive got a buddy who will help me wire up the talon injectors. So if I understand, all I need is an apex and a fuel pressure regulator upgrade? I want to say thanks for all the help Im getting the the turbo project. Does anyone know the where diagram for the LC2 ecu for the apex? anymore advice that can be given is appreciated

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Help with locating ecu diagram would be helpful, because I went to their website couldnt fit ecu diagram for the LC2 accent. So anyone who has done an apexi on their accent the help would be great. Turbo kit almost complete, the more help I get the better

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got apexi-II squared away for my LC2, and I have resistors for my talon injectors. I've got my oil filter sandwich for my pressure oil send and return lines. Headers are being built right now with talon flange to be welded to the cut headers. Mounted side-mount intercooler, have the piping setup. Bought a talon blow-off valve. Any other advice I can be given for the turbo?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You would do well to include an oil-cooler in your lube-circuit & only use pure synthetic oil.......as she will run pretty hot!.

Good luck with your project!
Nick.:)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
double check your couplers before you drive it. its so easy to forget to tighten one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts