Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’m new to the accent just got this car like week ago, I use to have a Elantra 99 see Signature, but my wife got in a car accident and the car was totaled, so I got the Accent for her to go to work. OK, this is my problem. The engine light went off today, I scanned and gave me codes that do not remember now, but said third and fourth cylinders misfired. I change the sparks plugs and wires, but didn’t fix the problem, any Ideas?
:ermm:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well we did a compresion test find out have low compresion (30) on the 3 and 4 and 1 and 2 on (150). well still working service manual for low compresion said blown head gasket, worn rings, worn piston or damaged valve seat. But the codes that I have were P0303 and P0304 and that said catalist damage, so still looking. :ermm:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the misfire codes are due to the low compression. The reason they denote catalyst damage is because a misfire will send raw fuel into the catalyst converter...not good.

Heres what you do: On those cylinders with low compression, add about 2 tablespoonfulls of motor oil into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole. Then repeat the compression test. If the compression readings jump up to normal, then what you have is either worn rings or something wrong with the pistons.

If this still doesnt help, then you have a cylinder head problem problem, either with valves, or through the head gasket.

Now, since the cylinders that are failing are next to each other, i strongly believe this to be a head gasket issue, right in between both cylinders. The possibility of a cracked cylinder also exists.

Has the car ever been over heated?

·
Registered
197 Posts
with my car it had low pressure on #4 cylinder.....it was oval shaped instead of circular. took the head off and got new valve and reseated all of the other valves just because i was there.....it sucks to buy new gaskets though. i dont know if this is ur problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I find the problem with the car; I looks like the pryor owner never change the fuel filter cause was clog. A week a go before start having problems wih the car I put a bottle of injector cleaner and some of the dirt got lose and clog a little bit the Injectors but after another treatment and replace the fuel filter engine code went off. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts