Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 2000 Accent and this morning I ran into the first problem ever with the car. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the check engine light came then the engine shut off. When I tried to restart, the car would turn over but would not fire. I then waited like 5-10 minutes and the car fired and started running, but I only got maybe one mile down the road when it shutoff again. So the car has been having a reoccuring problem of starting up then shuting off, which the last time I tried it stayed running (idling) for 10 minutes (after I got it towed home), then shutting off. Can someone help me out? I was thinking it may be either the fuel filter or teh fuel pump.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds more like the alternator isnt charging the battery.. or the battery isnt charging becuz its old or something try putting a diff bettery in it and see what happens. i doubt its the fuel pump or filter but it could be

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Since it cranks fine and starts fine after some time it's most likely not the battery or alternator (assuming that you weren't having to charge the battery between starting attempts and that it is in fact turning over just fine).

If the check engine light is on go to a parts store and get the code read also. That may flat out tell you the problem.

besides that, you can check for spark when the car won't start. In case you don't know how just pull one spark plug, plug it back into it's spark plug wire, let it sit against a metal part of the head, and watch for spark while someone tries to start the car. If there's a regular spark you've eliminated the ignition system as the culprit. Either way come back for further troubleshooting.

There are dozens of things that can make the car not start, it is however unusual that it will start, run for several minutes, then die in a repeatable cycle. It sounds to me like some electronic component is borderline failing and when it gets hot it loses it's connection. It could be difficult to pinpoint the problem if the OBDII code is not useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts