Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor 99 tibby is slowly dying..i am pretty sure the trans blew but it didnt make a noise? I was driving in reverse down my friends driveway and it popped out of reverse and went into drive..the reverse isnt working now and i can only drive my car up to 30 mph before it jumps out of gear..by the way my car is an automatic! Also theres a loud rattling noise and i cant figure out where its coming from! Any advice? is it worth getting a new trans or should i just give up and get another car?:confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am in the same boat. My 97 is a manual and the syncro's into second are gone. Most places do diagnostics for free, but it sounds like one of your clutches is gone(autos have many) I am going to replace my trans. If you do replace yours, you should find a used one or a refurbished one with a warranty, like six months or so. Advance auto parts has good deals and good warranties. Depending on the junk yard they might have a good option too. Once you have your trans., find a small local shop, they'll put your trans. in for cheaper than anyone else will. just make sure they cover their work. That way you sort of have two warranties. A lot of times you can go into a small shop and talk to one of the mechanics. They will usually put your trans. in as a side job for a fraction of the cost, but there is no warranty. People at your local parts store can usually refer you to someone like this. just shop around. Hope this helps, Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well my trans just went out. I was driving down the street at 30mph and all of the sudden it sounded like a soup pan was clanking around inside my trans. As I slowed down I noticed a ton of smoke and of course a trail of fluid leading right up to my car. Now it wont go into gear. And of course there are no used transmissions anywhere around here so I'm stranded with no car.:mad: +:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats horrible..i'm having trouble finding a used trans too! PA sucks! I had my car towed to NJ to where my mechanic is and now its stuck there until i raise enough money to get a new trans! i dont even know if its worth it! It's been 2 weeks and im dying with out my tibby:(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you thought of swapping your auto for a stick? It would probably be cheaper since manual trans' are way cheaper. there are just a few things you would need for the swap, plus it would make the whole thing worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts