Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been struggling with my accent for months now. It had an awful problem with the exhaust in which i finally got sick of it and cut out the old flex pipe which had rusted completely through and installed a new one. it is in with only a minor leak which im going to weld soon. i have ran into another problem though. when starting off in first gear u have to rev the car ridiculously high or else it starts stalling out. it happens in every gear if u dont give it tons of gas and it also happens when i stop accelerating and let go of the gas. it feels like its lurching and not getting enough gas. the check engine light also flashes for about 30 seconds when i start the car but then it goes solid after. it makes quite an interesting experience in traffic because it is my daily driver. can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on?:( 97 accent gs w.6 or 1.5 dohc

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
sounds like you might be having a MAF/MAP sensor issue. Its not reading the right air flow so it doesnt give itself enough fuel. Have you done anything to the car at all? Intake or anythng?

Oh and where do you live. It would be easier to figure out which engine you have based on your location.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
no nothing the car is bone stock... i just started driving it and before that a guy had overheated it. i took it and got it serviced, oil changs, filters , plugs and wires. the only thing i changed was to put a new flex pipe in which is the same size and diameter as the last one... so i dont think thats it. whats a maf or map sensor and how do i change it ? near ottawa

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
is there anyway you can get a picture of your engine posted on here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you need an actual picture of my motor or do u need one that is the same ? and how do u put pictures on this neways?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you need an actual picture of my motor or do u need one that is the same ? and how do u put pictures on this neways? because this is a picture of the motor i have but not the actual one in my car

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
oh that will do. Ok so you have a 1.5L engine. See that tube just after the red filter pod? Theres a wire sticking out of it. Thats the MAF sensor. It tells the engines comp. how much air is going in so the car can adjust how lean or rich it goes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
if you can get the computer scanned to see what code is set that will help a ton. without knowing which system(s) is being affected it is very hard to diagnose a problem. Its a good and bad thing about obd2 engine management.

once you get the code(s) pulled then give a reply back, its going to be cheaper(free at most parts stores) than just replacing parts at random

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
if you can get the computer scanned to see what code is set that will help a ton. without knowing which system(s) is being affected it is very hard to diagnose a problem. Its a good and bad thing about obd2 engine management.

once you get the code(s) pulled then give a reply back, its going to be cheaper(free at most parts stores) than just replacing parts at random
Trure...

I forgot those were OBDII as well.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Well for one thing when the check engine light flashs that means theres USUally a misfire- check the sparkplugs all of them for cracks on the insulator the white part... Also the filter Is way to close to the MAF try to put like at least a 4 inch pipe on it becuase i doubt the MAF is sensing any well normal air velocity try putting the pipe so the filter hits kinda the battery..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts