Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, finally got a chance to start ripping down Biggie's engine on here after it started giving us problems with excessive crankcase pressure after a few runs at the track. We were on 10psi, made 3 runs and knew we had clutch issues (stock clutch, slipping bad in boost!) We ran a couple of high 14 second runs having to get out of the throttle a few times during the run because of clutch slippage, we still trapped 95MPH

Well, we got a chance to let everything cool off, have the waste gate some adjustment and decided to go for broke (and broke it did!) not 100% sure what the boost was on the last run we made but it was over 12. made the last run, clutch slipping like mad, getting out of the throttle LOTS on the top end, ran a 15.8 @ 97MPH.

We never launched the car hard, left just off idle and made sure the clutch was out and we were rolling good before matting the throttle. (had 16" rims, and street tires on it).

Well heres the carnage pics! (We were actually VERY lucky not to damage the cylinder walls at all, every piston came out in tact, every ring in tact, took a closer look and as i was removing rings, chunks of piston started falling down!!!) ALL FOUR PISTONS failed the EXACT same way, in the EXACT same spots!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

looks pretty normal so far doesnt it? LOL!

Turn the pistons over and BINGO!

So in our case, about 200HP was all these babies could take. Time for some new parts, alot of work, and double the numbers for 2009 :D

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Yep, you detonated it. :cool:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
C16 covers up alot of mistakes. Maybe try some.:D

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Wait, so you didn't have any timing control or temp compensation, and ran it up all the way just to find the limit of the engine anyway? That's HARDCORE as! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mate you want a full aftermarket ECU, something like an EMS Stinger 4424... Its what I have running my beast, its very street driveable and when I start playing with the head after christmas there is hopefully going to be over 350HP ATW.

Cheers Ryan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mate you want a full aftermarket ECU, something like an EMS Stinger 4424... Its what I have running my beast, its very street driveable and when I start playing with the head after christmas there is hopefully going to be over 350HP ATW.

Cheers Ryan
Lol, Ryan i know we need a standalone ;) I'm no where NEAR new to this game. Hell I do this **** for a living :D For 2009 we will be running a MegasquirtII V3.57. Our whole goal here is to build this car on a budget that will put many many other imports to shame with more cash soaked in them (turbo honda's, SRT4's, WRX's, etc) and be just as reliable, and fairly simple to duplicate for anyone that wants our 'recepie'.

Our original goal was to roll with the MS this year, however the owner of the vehicle came across a piggyback and we used that this time around, running Pump gas (94 octane) 38lb/hr injectors, and no timing control or efficient fuel control. We also did this all on a stock clutch with 100,000km's on it. I decided at the last track day to push it to see what it had and we found it. I'm sure with full timing control, and C16 we could've pushed it alot harder, but this is what IMO an 'average' enthusiast would do to start out.

We will be back with ALOT of work done but 'budget minded' just spending alittle bit of cash in the right places and lots of 'in house' work.

2009 is going to be a very eventful year for this owner/car :D

Wait, so you didn't have any timing control or temp compensation, and ran it up all the way just to find the limit of the engine anyway? That's HARDCORE as! :D
Hahaha thanks man, yeah the whole idea of this is to find out where we stand, and well, honestly who DOESNT like a big KABOOM? LOL

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
so, what car was this off?

accent, cause you ARE posting in te accent forums.not that i'm biased
but i'm just curious

·
Registered
435 Posts
welcome to the official "accent ring lands are weak" club lol

you got lucky with not having your bores ****ed up, mine wasnt so lucky lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welcome to the official "accent ring lands are weak" club lol

you got lucky with not having your bores ****ed up, mine wasnt so lucky lol
yes we were VERY lucky. there are some light marks but nothing that a quick hone wont take care of. Plan is to not bore the block or do any major machine work to it really. All of it can be done 'in house' so we'll do alittle here/there (knife edge the crank, balance all the rods and pistons, work the crank journals alittle) I'm also going to fab up a windage tray and/or a crank scraper. I'm going to re-work the factory oil pan alittle to allow for more oil capacity and install some baffles to help oil slosh/windage as well as the turbo drain. The most time will be spent reworking the head. Saying we are swapping over to Megasquirt we are swapping to 75mm GM throttle body and a custom intake manifold. We are upgrading from the 38lb/hr injectors to 65lb/hr injectors and depending on what we can get for a 'street' tune a snow meth kit may be added as well. We are going to keep the log style turbo manifold and keep the compression mid 9's to help spool the massive 60trim turbo.

We are going to have a local company make us a nice clutch for it, and we will throw a LSD in the transmission (again budget minded).

The track re-opens May Long weekend and hope to be out doing some high 12 second shake down runs for the start of the year.

·
Registered
435 Posts
if only a quick hone would have been the fix for me.... i gotta get custom pistons made... roughly 78 mm :D mmm extra displacement lol did i mention forged?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if only a quick hone would have been the fix for me.... i gotta get custom pistons made... roughly 78 mm :D mmm extra displacement lol did i mention forged?
We're doing stock bore, stock compression forged pistons with floating pins. Stock rods, stock rod bolts, stock main bolts. :cool: push it till it spits a connecting rod out then go again :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
nice, i'm having trouble gettin forged rods so i am prolly just gonna have my machinist shot peen them and throw it togehter

·
Registered
435 Posts
thats hat my machinist suggested, i dont like how the rods and pin are like "captive". i've never wiked wiht pistons like that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
thats hat my machinist suggested, i dont like how the rods and pin are like "captive". i've never wiked wiht pistons like that.
about 90% of engines have press fit piston pins, something that i do not agree with in performance applications by any means. Just about ANY Heavy Duty engine, that sees amazing amounts of stresses, makes retarded amounts of power and goes a ridiculous amount of mileage uses floating pins.

you honestly cant go wrong with cryo-treating or shot peening factory parts that you want to hold up. First step is to remove all of the 'fatigue' points, and then treat the metal. You COULD always order up a custom set of Rods for about 1000bux but from what i've seen, no one has broken a rod in these engines due to power, or broken a crank, block, etc. So IMO i see no point in dropping that extra cash until i have hard evidence that it will fail at say 300hp (just using a generic number). Also when you start dropping coin like that, it becomes more of a 'race engine' and well, if it blows up your sure a heck of alot more pissed off than something that only cost 1200 to put together lol!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So whats the word Justin? Anything new with the build? I aso had a question for ya. Now you said in your first post on this thread that you were pushing more than 12 psi when the engine blew on you correct? You also mentioned that it was 200 hp was all the ring seats could handle on the pistons. Is that 200 WHP or 200 crank?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have for the 2nd time blow my motor..the same thing of you..
8-10psi 1.6l alpha2
i run megasquirt, timming control not actived, stock injector @65psi ...
i will put the third motor in place this weekend with little enancement

srt4 injector
innovative wideband
and timming control ..
i will tune this before re floor my foot in the pedal!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts