·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

98 Tib
2.0L
5.spd

This summer past; A few times in the evening I've pulled into my driveway, shut the headlights off, turn the engine off...
...the high beams stay on.

watt da f#%#? :puzzled:

Had to pull the battery clamp and leave it off for several minutes before I could reconnect to keep the high beams from staying on.
Wait a minute....check the clamp....lights go back on.
wait 4~5 minutes...check the clamp....Nope!.....lights go back on.

Now the other morning I drive to work and the highbeams stay on and won't come off period.
Had to pull over, pop hood, unscrew the lights out of the sockets and pull the lights right out.

Question...
1] Is there a relay that control the power from the battery to the highbeams?
or...
2] Could it be the switch in the stick on the steering column...

...im swingin to #1 but don't have an idea where to look.
Oh and I did smell somewhat of burning or very hot plastic......so now im ticked.

first prob ever with the tibby.

any help?

Latah
Joey

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Joey, there is relay for your headlights in the relay box under the hood near your battery, these can sometimes stick causing the headlights to stay on, this happened to me once when I came to shut off my car while bringing it into the shop after work. I work at a hyundai dealer and our head technician knew what was up right away. It might be a common problem, my car is the same as yours, mines a 97 2.0 liter, altough it wasnt the high beams in my case I would still suggest trying that relay, they're only a dime a dozen, and very easy to change.

By the way you might want to check that all your other lights are working if you sort this headlight thing out. The headlight thing happened to me a few days after I bought the car, and when I bought the car the lights in the dash did not work, none of them!
The guy who sold me the car never told me either, I never saw the car at night 'til it was mine, a few days after the headlight thing we realized every tail light bulb but one was burnt, fixed that no problem. Couple weeks later one morning my dash lights came on, and they worked for that day only. Two days later me and the head tech @ work tried to figure this all out, we put 3-4 hours into it, we looked at wiring diagrams, did every test possible, and let me tell you this guy placed second two years in a row at national hyundai tech competions, he knows everything but this problem left him shaking his head he didn't know what to say, just that he'd try and figure it out another day.Couple days later my lights worked in the morning, not at night, same thing next day, day after that they worked and have been working ever since. I parked the car for the winter a couple of weeks ago so now I'm waiting to see if they'll work next year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JMarc...

Kindest thanks for reply. There was no wind when I stopped and have the hood open - As im leaning over trying to twist the light bezels off, cursing...I get a whiff of that distinct smell "hot plastic" and suspect that must be some kind of relay because of the "pulling power clamp"....

hmm, schticky relay?

Ok well I'll be czeching out that relay...
...getting annoying not being able to high beam some bastids on the highway.

I will eventually respond here with results.

Good luck with your "Wiring Gremlin"

Best regards
Joey

[Edited by Dynamo^Joe on Nov 14, 2005 9:57 AM]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got around to doing something about the high beams this weekend past.

Went to Hday parts, walked in and said "relay for highbeam?"
Parts guy said, $29 bucks and updated to this one.....hands me a 4"x"4 box with this little blue thing about the size of a sugar cube.
parts]...$29 bucks for this thing? :??:
joe]......Why should i come here to buy anything for this price for this....."SUGAR CUBE"
parts]...Ok, I give 10% off.
joe]...thanks but only makes price suck a little less.
parts]...*insert sarcasm* we have an opening in the shop if you need it changed
joe]...*insert more sarcasm* I'll call my loan officer.

Anyhoo...i changed it in 2 minutes and works beauty now. No more stinky plastic smell.

Thanks for info..

Joey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts