Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my problem for my 2001 Tiburon.

When i am driving long distance 60-200 miles, my idle stays around 2000 RPM for aproximately 5 to 6 seconds when coming off the freeway to a stop before it goes down to normal. Untill i actually let the car cool down and drive it again the problem keeps persisting while driving around town. For normal around town driving without driving on the freeway, the car does not do it at all.

So far i still have not gotten any check engine light or codes to indicate what might be happening. It acts like my idle control valve may be going out or is not functioning properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
possible transmission problem ? I would get the codes pulled and look for the code; P0780: Shift Malfunction

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
possible transmission problem ? I would get the codes pulled and look for the code; P0780: Shift Malfunction

Not a transmission problem, because it does this when i am stopped and out of gear. The motor just stays at 2000 rpm with my foot off the gas from 5 to 10 seconds before going down to a normal idle. Some times it will rapidly jump from idle to 2500 repeatedly after coming to a stop.

Also like i said before no codes are present, no check engine light comes on, or anything else abnormal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not a transmission problem, because it does this when i am stopped and out of gear. The motor just stays at 2000 rpm with my foot off the gas from 5 to 10 seconds before going down to a normal idle. Some times it will rapidly jump from idle to 2500 repeatedly after coming to a stop.

Also like i said before no codes are present, no check engine light comes on, or anything else abnormal.
is it like a delayed throttle sensor? The rapid jumping to 2500 rpm seems to suggest spark plugs or misfire

I donno if this is even a possability, could it be that the fuel injectors are slow to adjust from a higher flow rate?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still having this issue. My transmission is a stick shift, so it can not be transmission related. I have done a tuneup, changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc. I also tried cleaning my throttle body and changed the fuel injectors. Still does the same thing. Is it possible that the Throttle position sensor is jacked up? By the way my computer still has never put up a check engine light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally after a year of doing this my car spit out a trouble code on the way back from work. 1124 long term fuel additive, air system too lean. Whatever the heck that is? Vacuum leak on the intake? IAC? MAF?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well since nobody has an answer to my question, i will answer it myself. I cleaned the MAF sensor, still the same, cleaned the IAC, still the same, used a propane torch to test for vacuum leaks and replaced a $6.00 gasket. Cured my problem for $6.00 and 2 hrs of my time. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have had a similiar issue for some time now.... I used the propane trick but did not find anything. I will just take off the manifold and replace the gasket, might as well. TY for the reply despite being an old thread... (didn't notice the date till right now)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts