Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200k elantra that recently started shifting slowely between gears. On the beginning I though it was starting to slip but I don't think this is the case. Shifting between gears it looks like it goes into neutral for a split second then shifts. This happens on both shifting down and up. Douring the up shifts the RPM rise(when I'm on gas) and that creates a little jerk when goes into gear like when droping the clutch vigurasly in a manual trany equiped car. My car is an AUTO! Any ideas what causes that problem? I have replaced the fluid twice in my tranny to mobile one synthetic auto fluid.

I'm still driving the car and just ease up when I'm anticipating the shift. This proplem does happen everytime, probably about 25% or less of the shifts. I don't know much about auto tranys so anyone know what could that be and how to solve this problem.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
zorro19s said:
I have a 200k elantra that recently started shifting slowely between gears. On the beginning I though it was starting to slip but I don't think this is the case. Shifting between gears it looks like it goes into neutral for a split second then shifts. This happens on both shifting down and up. Douring the up shifts the RPM rise(when I'm on gas) and that creates a little jerk when goes into gear like when droping the clutch vigurasly in a manual trany equiped car. My car is an AUTO! Any ideas what causes that problem? I have replaced the fluid twice in my tranny to mobile one synthetic auto fluid.

I'm still driving the car and just ease up when I'm anticipating the shift. This proplem does happen everytime, probably about 25% or less of the shifts. I don't know much about auto tranys so anyone know what could that be and how to solve this problem.
That is a shift flare. There is a TSB fix for the problem on the 01-03 Elantras, but I also recommend checking the fluid as the level must be perfect for these to shift right. I also suggest a trans flush as well.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
zorro19s said:
What is involved in the the "TSB fix"?

Thanks
The trans control module (what controls the tranny) is reprogrammed.

Go to a dealer and have them pull your VIN up and look at the history of the maintanance records. It should show the TSB numbers and descriptions. What you want to look for is a 2-3 shift flare TSB.

At the same time, it is a good idea to get it serviced. You should get that done every 30K miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts