Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I started tuning my machine I have paid more attention to the sound of my engine, how my car performs and handles, and what kind of power I get.

I have noticed that in first gear I get all RPM but very low power! It seems it's not until third or fourth gear that my acceleration seems to match my RPMs.

I'm assuming it has something to do w/my gear ratio. I'm guessing that this is just the way the car was made.

My question(s):

1. Am I correct in calling this the "gear ratio?"

2. Is it possible to adjust the factory clutch/transmission to adjust this gear ratio?

3. Or, will I have to replace it with a clutch or tranny that's geared differently?

All input appreciated!

·
Registered
120 Posts
|Well, your right calling it a gear ratio. |Now adjusting it would be nearly impossible, it has to do with the actual gears in your trans, not the clutch. |You might be able to change the final drive ratio, but i have no idea where you can get one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
lol, my bad i know that probably sounds chinese to you, so i'll explain more. All the raitos are in the trans. Basically they are used to multiply the torque from the engine, a higher number means a higher torque mulitplication factor, first gear being the highest. Now the final drive ratio affects every gear, and thats the easiest to change, since its only one gear. You can raise this ratio, and get quicker acceleration in each gear, but you'll loose some top end. It makes your acceleration faster by allowing you to get into the higher rev range faster, where the juice is. I havn't heard of anyone offering this, so looks like your out of luck. One thing you can do is get a lighter flywheel, 10 pounds off the flywheel is like taking 150 lbs off your car, it makes for a faster reving engine because of the lower rotational mass, or the amount of weight the engine has to spin. In rwd cars, a common mod was to reduce the weight of the driveshaft, with less weight, the motor spins more freely, and you get faster acceleration. In todays fwd's, all you can do is the flywheel, but it really makes a diffrence. The gears and the flywheel work basically the same way, one makes it easier for your engine to spin, the other forces your engine to spin. Hope this helps, and if you got any more question feel free to ask, alot of people know there sheit on this forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts