Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres my story. A couple nights ago I noticed I had a pretty bad boost leak. Probably a charge pipe I thought.... The past month I noticed I had been slowly loosing power, now I know why. I ran a pressure test on my intake system this past sunday with my custom little pressure tester I made. My bov was leaking! My HKS SSQV expensive "impossible to leak" bov!!!! I paid about $175 for it used (it was only used for 2 months). I took it apart, actually just took the cover off as the big vavle was leaking out the sides of it. Theres a gasket there... It seems to have copper in the center , its a round gasket with an oring sticking out of one side. The large valve pushes against the oring side of the gasket holding it shut under boost. No big deal, I'll order another gasket/oring thing. WRONG. After calling every authorized hks dealer and having no luck, I called HKS. We dont sell internal parts they say. Its not realy internal, you sell orings for the clamp side why not a cover gasket? You have to remove the cover to change the insert which you sell a variety of. The cover screws hold the gasket on.... They dont sel it! I offered $50 for one and they wont do it. I said its not like you dont have hundreds of them in the warehouse b/c the bov is still in production!!! I asked "so my $250 bov is now a piece of trash b/c you dont sell a $10 gasket?????". They replied "pretty much". What lousy service.... I just used a form-a-gasket to try to expand on the oring and reseat the gasket side... Im hoping it works. In the meantime Im bidding on another one, this really sucks.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
where did you buy the BOV From..it probably might be a chinese knockoff

Chinese are known the duplicate the HKS SSBV...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a true hks, even says it on the side. I got it in the box with the paperwork and all. Got it from a good friend of mine who had bought it two months prior for his eclipse gst. He had decided to sell the car and sold me some parts, including the bov.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
If you think the SSQV's are bad, check out their turbo manifolds. Those things fall apart, literally. And they will claim, time and again, that their manifolds have never cracked.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I dont think the ssqv bov's are bad. I searched and searched the internet to find information and found noone who claimed their bov was leaking. Most people have used it for years and never had a problem.... If they do leak it seems it is the o-ring where the adapter goes on it. That is not the case with mine. My big bitch is that they wont sell me a $5-10 gasket.... Rendering my bov useless. In other news I actually won one on ebay for a GREAT price. So i'll be replacing it soon. Im trying to get it overnighted :lol: Then Im going to email some knockoff companies whose parts interchange with the bov and try to get that gasket lol

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, well this really sucks. I had one overnighted to me from ebay just got it today. Well its screwed in the same manner mine is!!!!!! The guy said just what it says in the auction, he was selling it for his friend. So he is refunding my mom and just called me back , his friend doesnt want the bov back (big deal). So Im ordering one brand new and having it overnighted, can we say warranty bitch! I wont have it until sunday though, what a lousy situation.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ever look at those duplicators out there on e-bay? maybe they havea gasket kit. although i believe you already solved this problem.

and how's this for a flame: i paid $25 for my HKS SSQV!!! watch, now it's going to break. :cry: :hmmm:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$25? Does it say hks on the cover and sequential bov on the valve? I messed with them some more and it was the large valves that broke not the gaskets leaking. The valve had become loose and wasnt sitting straight. I think I know how to fix it just havent messed with it at all. I had to buy a new one for $200....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't you buy a sheet of the gasket material stuff and just make one. At a shop I was at once he had a thin sheet of metal same as metal head gaskets are made out and and his water jet cut out a head gasket for a car he didn't want to pay to buy one for. I have never tried it just saw him do that and assume oyu can buy the paper like mateial from somewhere and make one.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
That depends on just whic gasket has died; the HKS BOV's have some pretty thin ones if I remember right. It'd be bloody hard to cut one out, and if it's the rubber seal that I'm thinking of that goes near the front of it, you'd actually need to mould parts out of silicone to actually reproduce it. Not hard, but setting up is a pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts