Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to taking a picture of it. Basically it is 2" ABS pipe running from the stock airbox to just behind the driver's headlight. Noticed a very slight increase in power (stock air filter) but the sound changed significantly. It makes my exhaust sound like it's in stereo (front and rear).

[Edited by da_moose on Nov 21, 2005 5:54 PM]

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
finally, i have to say it does look preaty clean, nice job but maybe if you routed it down under the headlight and ducted it behind the factory fog light location if you don't have fog lights

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
^^ Yeah, I agree with that. If you wanted to do something a bit quicker, route it down right past the front of the tranny. I had almost the same exact set up durring the winter months (didn't like constantly cleaning salt and debris off of my CAI filter) and I swear it performed made a difference in performance. Back when I had the 1.5 in my Accent, I wanted to modify my stock airbox somehow to get some performance out of it, but I got lazy and jsut stuck with my crappy home made CAI. Nice work, though!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
that you would need a Bypass valve to strop from hydro locking your car when you go water puddles... and probalby a gutter guard/mesh for behind the fog light if you have room there. I would just custom do your own w/ an Eclipse Non-Turbo intake.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about running it down behind the fogs (I do have them) but I don't want to take out the fogs right now and this works pretty well (lots of airflow from around the headlight. It is actually sitting right behind the big hole in the headlight mount which actually acts as a bit of a scoop that routes the air around the headlight directly to the intake. I'm just waiting for christmas to get a K&N panel filter to make it work good. One of the ideas I had for it was to put a Y pipe in so I could run two pipes to each fog light but then I would be running between the exhaust manifold and the radiator which would kind of defeat the purpose of a CAI. With this I sort of get the benefits of a WAI ram air and the benefits of a CAI so I don't think I will change it. BTW for those who are going to ask the big yellow thing around the battery is an electric battery blanket. I'm sure somebody (especially those down south won't know what that is)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm guessing it warms the battery so it starts better in colder weather...? My grandma used to put her heating pad on our old Buick's battery on mornings we couldn't get it to start, and it usually worked... :hmmm:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the amount of cranking amps is severly reduced in cold weather so using a battery blanket keeps the temperature up so it has more cranking power in the morning. So that's basically why using your heating pad worked.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
What's scary is that I'm on this site so much that I just had a dream about this post... :dead:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
HA, no nothing like that... About my car not starting because of a cold battery, lol. :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
nice job
mine is 2" abs as well but straight fron the end of the air sensor and into the headlight cavity. both headlights have been removed for racing.
I'm trying to figure out a way to put a 3" cai right up to the TB but I don't know how to reroute the air sensor. On my LC2 the air sensor is not part of the intake.
any ideas?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
what was the point of that? im sure you gained 0 power from that. why not take the time to make an actual CAI? it looks like it sits where the stock piece should.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The whole idea of CAI is to get cold air and there is lots of cold air that comes around the headlight. In all essence where they put the factory intake wasn't in a bad location except for a few things.

1) Hood has the rubber seal so less air flow
2) Pipe diameter is too small
3) The pipe runs overtop the radiator.

You don't need to have a cone filter a foot off the ground to get cold air. It just has to come from outside the car and not travel where there is lots of heat. Where mine is it's far away from any heat sources except for the 90 degree elbow that is beside the rad. I also don't have to worry about hydrolock as I do find a lot of water on the back roads and when I'm driving in a foot and a half of fresh snow. Last year after getting off the backroads I had snow backed around the transmission so if I had a CAI that low it would be full of snow.

As far as performance gains I noticed a small gain but I'm also using the stock air filter until I get a K&N panel filter. BTW the CAI that PSC sells is one of the top performing CAI's for the Accent and it also gets its air from behind the same headlight, granted it gets much more. I'm also planning to make a shroud that connects to the pipe and surrounds the back of the headlight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts