Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of installing a small hood scoop or some sort of ram-air, how do you prevent all the rain water and debris from getting all over your air filter and engine?

[Edited by atullio on Mar 6, 2006 10:01 AM]

·
Registered
824 Posts
Your filter needs to be moved away from the scoop...
The engine will be fine, though you will need to keep water away from your plugs.

What do you want the scoop to do, bring in cooler air to the engine bay, or direct air to your filter?

·
Registered
621 Posts
surely the plastic cover on your engive will keep most of the water away from your plugs. some water could still find it's self on your electrics but

what kind of scoop, is it wrx style? cogsworth? or just a hole in the bonnet with some mesh like the evo?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to go custom. I could just buy one. Either way the plan was to build a box undernethe to force the air in, so all the air is directed to the air filter of my short WAI. Maybe vents? Channels to push water away? I live in ohio, i have to be prepared for anything.

[Edited by atullio on Mar 6, 2006 8:41 PM]

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Have it dip down to a low point, and make a little bowl in there, drill a hole, and run a small vacumn line out to somewhere where it can drain easily. If you have the end of the line at just under the same level as the hole... the air wont really escape much. But you might have to fool with one way values and what not.. eh i dunno...

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Well, look at the stock hyundai intakes, they had that big resonator thingy in the dip... it was just a water catcher... the air swirls down there, sheading the water, and it flows out of the drain at the bottom. You wont have room for all that, and it kills flow.

If you want to make ot work effectively, then your going to work at it alot. Just how it is. but one things for sure, it will look baddass once you get it done and working.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That gave me an idea, maybe i can use the some of extra crap from my old factory air box in fabrication. That would be nifty.
Cut a huge hole in you hood, mount the factory airbox upside down on top of the hood. cut a hole in the front of the airbox, hook the corrugated hose directly onto the TB. LOL just kidding.

but its not a bad idea ill put some thought into that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
bring your air in from the bottom, lower the better, cooler air if you are trying to gain performance. if you are trying to cool the motor or bay temp then do a scoop. but you doing a ram air would be pointless if you ask me for the work to be done.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
ou can take a look at mine if you like. Mine sits right above the engine and direct air toward the intake manifold. I havn't had any probs. with it at all yet and we've even had a lot of rain in the last week here in San Diego too. Check it out it's: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214738

1 - 10 of 10 Posts