Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally installed a hood scoop on the '03 GT. Unfortunately the car is dirty and wet, but the weather won't be good again for months so this is as good as I can do pics wise. I intend on opening up a hole under the scoop and building a ram air setup when I get the time. Bought the scoop from eBay, the paint from an online store, and did it myself. It isn't 100% perfect but it's not bad. I learned a lot about painting in the process too. Next I'm painting my neighbor's Ninja 500, then his Rabbit.:D

^^Higher resolutionhttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/187sks/Toyrun01.jpg

^^Higher resolutionhttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/187sks/Scoop10.jpg

^^Higher resolutionhttp://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/187sks/Scoop08.jpg

[Edited by 187sks on Mar 4, 2006 8:30 PM]

·
Registered
447 Posts
intresting look to it, i would have taken the mesh out myself.... and painted it black, but it looks good, now i know i want one

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I like that scoop alot more than I like mine. Wish I would of seen that type first. Oh well, theirs a hole in my hood already. Looks good man!

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
man..that's getting more and more gorgeous..now install a plate on the engine head..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Anyone else think it resembles a Subary Legacy, now? Nice work... Can't wait to see pics when it's functional.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by LilGuy2146
[body]
intresting look to it, i would have taken the mesh out myself.... and painted it black, but it looks good, now i know i want one
[/body]
Painted it black on the red car? Or because your car is black? The scoop came black so that would have been easy.:D

It is stuck on with double sided tape, I'm going to attach it more securely when I do the ram air box. The fact that I'm making it ram air is why I left the grille in. It will at least keep the huge junk out of my filter.

I positioned it where it is because there is a big opening in the hood bracing directly beneath it there to make it look a lot cleaner when I add the airbox. I would have also liked it to be further back if it was just for looks though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks nice, make sure you do some kind of write up on the ram air. I'm thinking of doing that and I would like some ideas.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^Will do. Depending on difficulty to reproduce I may sell kits. We will have to see. I'm making it out of ABS plastic so it might not be too bad to build once I have the prototype. I have a few projects that are ahead of the ram air at this time though unfortunately. I may not even start it until next summer. The weather here sucks so bad in the fall/winter/spring and I don't have a garage.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sweet sweet, what constitutes a ram air set up? I was thinking for mine just using my wai then cutting a hole in my hood then getting a scoop off of ebay. Bondo/paint it on top of the hole, but this would just be a vent pretty much. Then thats just venting air under my hood right? not ramming it :lol:

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is going to have an airbox which attaches to the hood, an airbox with a filter that attaches to the 3" intake piping, a foam gasket to allow the mating of the two and allow the engine to twist on it's mounts without causing problems, and provisions for releasing water that comes in the scoop instead of sucking it directly into the filter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wanna add a camero ss style scoupe, cut a hole in the hood. would water coming into the opening in the scoupe be a big problem?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It can cause problems. You just want a vented hood then? Not a ram air setup though? If so it is easy to simply have a way to block it off during wet weather and leave it open the rest of the time. With a Camaro SS style scoop at least you don't have to worry about water getting on top of your engine while parked due to the overlap.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Heh, this is the exact same scoop i got on my car and you're doing the exact same mod as me o_O

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well then, I guess everyone will be able to see the ram air setup in fiberglass and in ABS then. Bonus.:D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
schweet:evil:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I got a hood scoop on mine as well I'll have pics up soon...to see it go to: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214738

1 - 20 of 35 Posts