Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how is it possible to get a nice sized muffler on a 2001 Accent GL 4 door, i don't see many products available for sale for my car, i can't even find black rear headlights, someone please tell me how a muffler will fit, because i looked at the bumper and the stock muffler is pointing down, how is it possible to get a bigger muffler to stick out? do i have to buy a new bumper?

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Just go to a shop that does exhaust. They'll set you up from the rear axle back and change the routing so that it comes out below the bumper. It will just be lower.

If you don't want it that low you will have to cut away part of the bumper or find a new rear bumper with a cutout.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah your gonna have to cut the bumper. Thats what I did. Oh and FYI they are called taillights not rear headlights, and no, no one makes them for the 4 door, nor are they easily interchangable with any other year. Sorry.

[Edited by Dannythechicano on Oct 9, 2005 3:01 PM]

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMHO... The Best Muffler is no muffler at all. I gonna yank the goddy Cherry bomb out of my S-Coupe, as well .... my Merkur XR4Ti Is Straightpiped and my Mustang (R.I.P.) was straightpiped. a Bit of a Growl on downrevv... but pleasantly loud at cruising speed and loud as hell at WOT.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
assuming your exhaust has no cat..doe's it kablap fireballs when you floor it during shifts?:evil:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone know a bumper that is precut out and not so expensive?? if so please give me the site, or i might custom cut it, but let me know what is the best tool to use to cut it, this guy that lives in my complex has a 98 civic EX and he cut his bumper to get it sticking out sideways..... it looks nasty. I'm going for the clean look so i definately don't want to cut it, or make it an ugly cut, any suggestions are welcome, thank you

Also i like the bumper you have dan, so i guess im gonna keep the tailights stock... is your muffler loud? and also do you have 421 headers??, thank you

[Edited by GLaccent01 on Oct 9, 2005 11:11 PM]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Run it out the side like mine then your rear bumper is no longer a problem. ;)

Seriosly though, most exhaust places will run it out for you they will just make it come out below the bumper, so problem solved no bumper cutting and better looking and sounding exhaust all in one shot.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you have any pictures of that??? i would like to see

·
Registered
182 Posts
I do have some I will try to get them on. My car is a 2000 Accent GS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by TAK82
[body]
assuming your exhaust has no cat..doe's it kablap fireballs when you floor it during shifts?:evil:
[/body]
Actually the XR4 does... it is kinda cool at night when i look in my driver door mirror. it attractas attention for sure. and the turbo creates the backpressure needed to keep the fuel mileage right where it has to be.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm just currently running a tip on my own.
I grabbed a Dremel and made a sunrise shaped cut after marking it out with a Sharpie.
Cutting the current pipe right to the point where it starts to bend, I attached the tip using the built-in clamps and then attached a piece of mechanics wire to that neck area and harnessed [for extra hanging support] it above.

This does the visual job I need until I get time this Christmas to throw on the bodykit and slap a real muffler on.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that sits pretty low, i want to get a N1 muffler for my accent, but im not sure as to which muffler will give me the best performance, of course im not going to use a cat, im straight piping the exhaust, i plan on getting 4-1 headers, but i want to know what would be a good performance muffler for my 2001 4 door GL, bad enough i cannot get any tailights, i seen them talkin about vinyl coloring them, but i need to know how, so let me know what you guys think...............good performance mufflers, thank you all for reading this, i been getting a lot of answers and the help i needed, my accent is soon gonna be tuner ;):

·
Registered
978 Posts
I tucked mine in and out of the way so I would not bottom out when I get around to later projects. I also did NOT want the tip sticking out like you see most of the time. Personal preference. I did it for a little more top end and sound, not looks (even if it's nice and shiny)

[Edited by meee2yo on Oct 11, 2005 9:11 AM]

·
Registered
313 Posts
i wouldn't suggest straight pipe exhaust for our newer, fuel injected, non turbo or SC cars... you lose back pressure. without back pressure, you'll lose a bit of low end torque.

·
Registered
453 Posts
if you run a nice sized resonator, you dont really need a muffler, and it sounds good, none of that nasty high-compression honda motor sound...

damn our cars sound good.... almost euro....

·
Registered
182 Posts
That depends on what you use your car for, especially if that 10ft/lb loss in the low end results in 10ft/lb and 15 hp on the high end. Straight pipe usually results in your low end loss, but gains you up high. For racing that's good, but for daily driving, it can be a swift kick in the a$$.
I might soon redo my exhaust. I'm starting ally the way from scratch. I'm cutting off the cat on the bs of the manifold, welding a flange on and going from there. I'm not quite happy with the sound as far as noise goes. I like the note, but it needs to be louder.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so biker you recommend i use a catalic converter for my 1.6 DOHC??, thanks for the info, i always though striaght pipe gave more power... i guess not, if so which cat should i go with since it will be connected to a 4-1 headers, and a N1 muffler, or maybe someone has a suggestion for a better muffler?? thank you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts