Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing as i'm gonna be replacing my tranny in a few days..

i wanted to take this time to ask some of the beta accent dudes,

you know you got the tranny sucessfully loose from the engine but how do you get it out?

doe's it have to drop below to the ground?

what component's d i have to remove to extract the tranny out of the car?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
On ryan's we managed to slide the beta trans in with the flywheel still on... just by loosening the subframe and pushing it towards the drivers side. If we did it with the flywheel installed it should be somewhat easy with it removed. Its probably going to take two people to guide it out either way. Good luck.

I dont think we had to remove anything special to do that... I might be forgetting something.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You should let it drop, but not too much of a drop. I should have been smart myself and got the whole swap done at once with the beta transmission. Right now i'm having some serious shaking / vibrating problems at any speed higher than 70mph. The alpha tranny blows, ALSO when you decide to go turbo with an alpha tranny we have a slave cylinder that gets in the way of the internal wastegate on the turbo. So if anyone wishing to do a beta swap in the future, take my advice and DO a complete swap with the beta transmission. It would save a lot more time and headache. I hope all goes well for ya tak.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
beta beta is the way to go

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^someone's really bored.

anyways..what if i remove the cover on the other end of the transmission?

the one that seems' to get blocked from exiting through the subframe??

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Okay..i gathered some info,

here's how i'm gonna take the tranny out..

also..since I'm going to be doing this in my work..where there's a lift and power tools and hopefully a engine crane, it'll be much easier

1:disconnect anything that's in the way..battery and tray, intake, strut bar,

2:disconnect the shift cables..remove cotter pin and Shifter cable retaining slide clips

3:remove motor mounts from rear, front and driver side.
also the slave cylinder while i'm at it

4:remove plastic splash shield on the driver side underneath the wheel well

5:remove both struts, axles, and rotors.

6:start removing the tranny bolts..including the one of the starter bolts..

7: with crane ready hang a chain on the tranny to prep it to drop down..

8:eek:nce bolts are removed, tap and lightly pry tranny out of the engine..tranny aint' free yet so i'm gonna take out the clutch & pressure plate to see if that'll free up some dropping room

9:if the tranny manages to drop down..i'm home free..

10:have replacement tranny ready,raise up, bolt down and reverse diassembly process.

11:eek:ptional:take old tranny, disassemble, fix and possibly upgrade with phantom grip lsd for future use.

i already diagnosed the problem..it's very much my spider gears and my pinion shaft..the car shift's fine but the clunk if from the differential.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You shouldnt have to take off the clutch and the PP to get the tranny to drop, MOF i dont even think it would help.

You can just let the end of the transmission sag a bit and it should come right off, most likely falls off so be careful

Make sure youve flipped the release arm upside down and rotated it counter clockwise to release the TOB from the fork.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
With the beta in the accent there is no room to let it drop off the other side. We barly had room with just the flywheel being in the way. Thats with the subframe loose and pushed as far as we could get it to the drivers side.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
then i'll take the flywheel out also..

taking the end cover of the tranny should help a bit..

if all fails..i could easily take the subframe off..

unbolt the thing and pull the tie-rod end's off the spindle..

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
why?..i bought your's and it's working fine..still too much grip..

i'm definitely getting a new throwout bearing cause the one in my car alway's moan's when i'm driving..arrggh.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm.when did i say i was using the beta tranny?

i bought a used one with 33k on ebay for $150..alpha 1.6L manual tranny

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, i got the tranny out without moving the subframe..

i kept the engine supported by a exhaust pipe holder

raised the engine up and pushed the tranny as much as i could to the right..then i tilted it down and used a cloth covered lead hammer to push it down..the tranny came out but left a scratch on my flywheel..but it was safely smoothed out with an air grinder and a worn 3m scrubbing pad.

ups was supposed to bring my tranny today but say's it's coming tommorow..the #uckheads~!!

i kept the engine supported by a tying a old drive belt across the 2 motor mount's with the flywheel tied to it,
attached the strut's and brakes and wheels' to push it to a lot for the night..my new throwout bearing came today, i also looked and felt the old one..it spinned very freely and felt gritty when spunned..no more TOB Moaning when downshifting..whoo-hoo!
the new TOB is a Seojin Seco Throwout bearing from Korea.

so much for next day shipping guarantee..i want my $20 back u %hits!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts