Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's side front fender is dented from a deer strike. I was thinking about replacing it myself, does anyone know how hard this is?

The cheapest I've found for a painted fender is $230 shipped to my door. I'm going to get a quote from a body shop but I'm guessing it will be quite a bit more than that?

·
Registered
686 Posts
it bolts right on pop open the hood, right where the hood sets on the side there should be a few 10mm bolts then u gotta unscrew the plastic from the wheel well, and there are like 2 more bolts holding the bottom in.

if you can turn a wrench its easy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it bolts right on pop open the hood, right where the hood sets on the side there should be a few 10mm bolts then u gotta unscrew the plastic from the wheel well, and there are like 2 more bolts holding the bottom in.

if you can turn a wrench its easy

Great. Do you know if the bumper has to come off?

·
Registered
686 Posts
i dont really remember, you may have to undo a couple screws for that too, but you wouldnt have to take the full bumper off, just whatever is attached to the fender your replacing

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i replaced the fender on my sisters (now mine) and you just need to unbolt the fender from the body, remove the bolt between the bumper and fender, and take the fender lining out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome, thanks!

So you didn't have to take out the headlight then? My headlight needs to be replaced at some point, and was thinking about doing it all at once if the headlight has to come out for the fender. If it doesn't, I'll probably wait and do it another time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 elantra, and I just tried to remove the front driver's side fender. It looks like it's welded about halfway up the door. Has anyone else encountered this? The passenger side has it too. Doesn't seem like it's as simple as just undoing some bolts..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 elantra, and I just tried to remove the front driver's side fender. It looks like it's welded about halfway up the door. Has anyone else encountered this? The passenger side has it too. Doesn't seem like it's as simple as just undoing some bolts..
Oh man,... YES!
Six years later I hit the same problem. : (
When I remove the fender liner I can see what appears to be a rivet and clip holding a wiring harness:

So it appears that there is a tab from the fender, a bracket welded to the unibody, a very thin piece of the insulation and this clip all riveted together.
But I could not find a part number for any rivet like this.
Grr,...

Anybody know what you typically do?
I guess seeing how I am replacing the fender I can just carve it out and give myself some room to look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I remove the fender liner I can see what appears to be a rivet and clip holding a wiring harness:

So it appears that there is a tab from the fender, a bracket welded to the unibody, a very thin piece of the insulation and this clip all riveted together.
The clip is slipped over a bolt, just pull it off to reveal a bolt with a 10mm nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts