Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just after some opinions etc on the amount of an intercooler that needs to be exposed to uninterupted airflow for it to work effectively.

I'm going to run about 9-10psi of boost and my intercooler is a 600x300. I have a little over 2/3rds of it exposed. I can expose all of it, but this will require substantial modification to the little X3's front bumper (number plate area). I am willing to do this if enough forum support is given that I do the modification... if 2/3rds is enough, then I will leave it at that.

Thanks people. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tha,

I had considered maybe a few holes in the main area of the bar to let some air through... or perhaps a slit may look neater than holes being drilled. I guess the ultimate idea would to have the front bar looking like it's from a Skyline GTR with their huge squared out section in the middle.

I guess the main reason for this question is that if I can save some money from buying an aftermarket front bar, I can spend more on more essential parts of the car...

Thanks again, all comments welcomed.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You could try a mold-in vent like the ones for the hood or even the front fenders. A small set installed might work quite nicely ;-)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Omg

Now that's an idea !!!!!!! Back to my Skyline GTR speak, the old 92 models had two small squares in that exact area of the front bar to aid in air flow !! That's a top idea mate....

Ok, now to search for something applicable !!

I have a slimline front number plate which is now going to be mounted so that it bolts on by the bottom of the plate, thus having it sit between the number plate holes and the upper bar opening.

Yeah, some sort of insert would certanly be the way to go.... much neater than just cutting out an opening of some sort.

Thanks again... time to do some searching. I'll probably find that what I need to use isn't from the automotive area!

Best regards :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts