Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how much paint i need to order, not including primer and clear coat, just the base coat.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I would like to know this as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi people,

I'm not a painter by trade.. but I painted a few cars. I am currently painting a X3 Accent/Excel. I am working on 6 to 8 litres of colour.

This usually gives me 2 to 3 "coats" of paint. By "coat" I mean that I usually do about 2 to 3 passes over each panel.

I lightly sand between each coat with 1000 grit wet and dry, with a day or two between the sanding of the coats.... and after the final coat of colour is done, I leave it for about a week, then sand with 1500 wet and dry... then I start the clear coats... and I like about 3 to 4 coats of clear with sanding in between.... I find this method gives a really good gloss.

There may indeed be easier ways to paint. Tricks of the Trade so to speak that may cut down on the work. I have never prayed 2 Pack... as I have always been restricted to Acrylic paint due to using the 'back yard' to paint.

So I guess my paint list is (not including primer)

5 to 8 litres of colour (but you may get away with 5 or 6 depending on number of coats)
8 Litres of clear
40 litres or so of premium thinners
10 litres of general thinners to clean out the gun each time and generally cleaning.

I hope this helps a little, at least from the perspective of a back yard painter.

Safe driving :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
60 cans!! woah!

I know people that have painted there cars flat black using 5-6 cans! (now that had to be a ghetto job)

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
Problem was we were covering a dark brown primer with a flourescent orange.

[Edited by 187sks on Jan 30, 2006 1:38 AM]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts