Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first and only manual car that I drive is a Hyundai Accent. I'm not super pleased with the feel of the shifter though. Putting it into a gear, it doesn't feel "locked" in that gear, and on some rare occasions it popped out of some gears on bumpy roads.

It did have an engine swap (with another similar dohc 1.5), so there is the chance that perhaps my shift cables were stretched and don't fully pull the tranny controls, or maybe its my shifter assembly? I'm not sure.

I tried replacing my tranny fluid with Redline MT-90, and it made it feel amazingly smooth, but still, I don't get the "locked" gear feel that I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a solid feeling to my controls and right now it's like shaking hands with a limp wristed handshake. Doesn't feel too solid.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Check the cables...make sure everything is in its place.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
The stock shifter feels like you're moving a stick around in a greasy box of rocks. It shouldn't pop out of gear though, thats indicative of another issue probably related to the swap. Make sure the cables are ok, and consider that the linkage at the trans may have been damaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll strip away the shift console and look more closely again. But, from when I first looked there wasn't a whole lot to see. Just a few cables running to the engine bay.

I did adjust the shifter assembly back and forth slightly where it bolts down, and it seems to help for a day, but only temporarily. I'm thinking about replacing the shifter cables if that isn't too much work. Could have a bit too much slop at the linkage or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, at first the shifter feels abit sloppy, It sort of feels like a truck shifter because of how far back the gears are from each other lol ( 2nd is really close to the driver seat and everytime i go into 5th im basically touching the passengers seat lol) But once you get used to it its actually not that bad at first its abit harder to find the gears because as you said they dont "lock" into place and you cant really feel them going into gear like a honda shifter or toyota.

·
Registered
147 Posts
my shifter feels perfect but i notice going in 3rd gear it feels diff then going in others..

·
Registered
106 Posts
my shifter feels like $#!+. It has the longest throw ive ever seen, and it grinds when ever i put it in reverse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine doesn't go in reverse sometimes i have to put it in other gears before putting it in reverse or put it in neutral let the clutch out then put the clutch in and put it in reverse lol

·
Registered
520 Posts
the stock shifter does suck, but check the shift linkages and cables.

I've got a Fidanza short throw shifter on my accent (Fidanza STS Part #: 893010) and it made the world of difference. I've also got redline fluid and I double clutch all shifts (except for the no-clutch downshifts in autocross) Muchos fun and quick!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i would check the shifter cables that connect to the tranny. They have large circles on the end that slot over peg's on the tranny. There is a bracket that should lock the cables in place, maybe yours is missing?

·
Registered
106 Posts
the stock shifter does suck, but check the shift linkages and cables.

I've got a Fidanza short throw shifter on my accent (Fidanza STS Part #: 893010) and it made the world of difference. I've also got redline fluid and I double clutch all shifts (except for the no-clutch downshifts in autocross) Muchos fun and quick!
you dont need to double-clutch in a synchronized gearbox, its a waste of time, isnt it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first and only manual car that I drive is a Hyundai Accent. I'm not super pleased with the feel of the shifter though. Putting it into a gear, it doesn't feel "locked" in that gear, and on some rare occasions it popped out of some gears on bumpy roads.

It did have an engine swap (with another similar dohc 1.5), so there is the chance that perhaps my shift cables were stretched and don't fully pull the tranny controls, or maybe its my shifter assembly? I'm not sure.

I tried replacing my tranny fluid with Redline MT-90, and it made it feel amazingly smooth, but still, I don't get the "locked" gear feel that I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a solid feeling to my controls and right now it's like shaking hands with a limp wristed handshake. Doesn't feel too solid.

one thing i will say that i learned while taking Manual Trans at Tech School is that in FWD Vehicles if an engine mount starts 2 go bad and the engine has excessive rock it is possible 4 that 2 pop your tranny out of gear. although it doesnt sound like that the case 4 u, i just wanted 2 throw that out there as a possibility

·
Registered
520 Posts
you dont need to double-clutch in a synchronized gearbox, its a waste of time, isnt it?
Nope, you don't need to.

Once you're good enough at it it should be very close to the same speed. a few milliseconds more and you're rev-matched. It's pretty much two quick jabs of the clutch. Slides right into gear, virtually no clutch slip.

Either way.. I wouldn't double-clutch on the dragstrip :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think that the stock shifting on my accent is crap. When I shift into second I'm almost touching the drivers seat, and when I shift into 5th I'm hitting the other person sitting in the passenger seat. Do they make short shifters for the 05 accents now?

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I had the stock shifter on my accent the only thing that bugged me was the long throw. Other then that it served it's purpose quite nicely. Went into gear smoothly I tried out one of the new civics si and it was really clunky. I got a TWM performance shifter and it's really shortened things up! For your problem it could be a bad clutch if it's popping out of gear.

·
Registered
520 Posts
jason check with B&M.

I had to pass the shifter to the passenger to get it into 5th gear with the stock shifter :cool: and clunky shifts are from bad syncros.

The clutch itself wont cause it to jump out of gear. Either the tranny is in bad shape or it's the cables/linkages/bushings.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
What about the Scoupe?

I bought a Universal Hyundai Short Shifter, bnut it did not fit then i phoned them back and they saiud its a Universal Elantra S/Shifter so i sold it and then the dude phone me and said it Does fit his Elantra theni phone the Store back and they Said its a Universal XD elantra Shifter...

will a Accent one fit my car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts