Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Oct 2003 Accent. It has 1.5L 12V SOHC Alpha Engine.

The Temp Gauge

The needle in the temprature gauge is always stuck on the upper white dot, even then the fans dont start. My a/c doesnt run when idling at a red light. I just flushed clean my radiator, changed the upper hose pipe (which was leaking), cleaned and tested the thermostat. Flushed and changed all the oils, cleaned the HLAs. Check the water pump. Would be changing all the belts soon.
Anyhow, even after doing all this the problem remains the same, my car still overheats.
Please help me fix this problem. I am almost pissed now for not being able to find a solution!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
bh206 said:
when does the car overheat?

or do you not know since the gauge is always stuck in the same position? :confused:
This pic was clicked early in the morning, when I was idling. The gauge always shows the same reading (it's not faulty, when I say it always shows the same reading it means that it shows the same reading when the engine is hot). At times, in summers, the coolant overflows out of the overflow bottle. I am not sure what to do.
Today I noticed, that in the morning when I was idling, the A.C would run fine until the temp gauge needle reached the upper white dot. After that the a/c wont run on idle unless i press the accelerator.
Anyhow, the fans won't start either (unless i switch on the A/c). Even if they do start, they would switch off even before the needle comes to the normal position.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The gauge looks normal to me. Are you sure that you are not over filling the coolant bottle? Also if you have a lot of air in the radiator or block it could make the coolant overflow when the engine is hot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rocconi said:
The gauge looks normal to me. Are you sure that you are not over filling the coolant bottle? Also if you have a lot of air in the radiator or block it could make the coolant overflow when the engine is hot.
How do I check for air?
I feel its not normal coz the needle is always stuck on the upper white dot, whereas under normal circumstances, the fans should engage as soon as the needle reaches the upper white dot and stay engaged until the engine reaches the normal operating temprature, i.e. 192 degree (or 88 deg C).
All this neverr happens, fans dont engage even when the needle is at the upper white dot, anyhow, I have not overfilled the overflow bottle for sure!

·
Registered
520 Posts
The gauge is reading normal operating temperature.. the car isn't overheating until the gauge reaches the high extremity. You're looking at the gauge far too closely.

what level is the coolant resevoir at when the car is cold?

I don't know what to say about the A/C, other than I believe it's unrelated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bh206 said:
The gauge is reading normal operating temperature.. the car isn't overheating until the gauge reaches the high extremity. You're looking at the gauge far too closely.

what level is the coolant resevoir at when the car is cold?

I don't know what to say about the A/C, other than I believe it's unrelated.
When cold, the resevoir is between Full and Low, When hot, it reaches Full and AT TIMES overflowss (in summers).
The believe the a.c is pretty much related coz if the a.c is not working while idling, it means that the car is switching it off to protect the car from getting overheated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
To me it sounds like it's a water pump issue. I know you said you checked it, but what about it did you check? It sounds like the car is not circulating the coolant unless you have your foot on the throttle. Also could be a fan relay since you said your fans are not kicking on when they should be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coloaccent said:
To me it sounds like it's a water pump issue. I know you said you checked it, but what about it did you check? It sounds like the car is not circulating the coolant unless you have your foot on the throttle. Also could be a fan relay since you said your fans are not kicking on when they should be.
Here' how I tested my water pump, i removed the thermostat. Started the engine. Took off the radiator cap and checked if the coolant was flowing... It was hence I assumed that my water pump seems to be working fine. Anyhow, how do i check if my fan relay is working or not? Where is it located?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I tested my coolant temp sensor, i got the following results. The thermostat would open at given below resistance readings:
.250 open (About 95 deg)
.320 close (About 80 Deg)
To check the resistance, I took off the coolant sensor and plugged in my multimeter. As soon as I unplugged the cool temp sensor, my fans started running at full speed.
Anyhow, when I plugged them back in, the fans would not switch on. Neither on .250 (95 deg) nor .320 (80 deg) and hence my temp gauge stick would ALWAYS stay stuck on the upper white dot. Hence I still have the same problem of my coolant overflow bottle running out of coolant due to excessive heating and pressure!
Damn, what to do?

Thermostat Valve opening temperature : 82°C (177°F)
Thermostat Full opening temperature : 95°C (205°F)

Coolant Sensor Resistance Ratings as recommended on hmaservice
-30 (-22) - 22.22 - 31.78
-10 (14) - 8.16 - 10.74
0 (32) - 5.18 - 6.60
20 (68) - 2.27 - 2.73
40 (104) - 1.059 - 1.281
60 (140) - 0.538 - 0.650
80 (176) - 0.298 - 0.322
90 (194) - 0.219 - 0.243

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can someone tell me at what temprature should the radiator fans engage in low speed mode and then at what temprature, should they operate in high speed mode?

PS: If possible also provide the resistance values for the above mentioned question!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts