Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've recently bought 7" x 15" rims for my Hyundai Accent '99 (X3) together with 195/50 R15 tyres. The looks and the ride are just right with the stock springs and shocks - not too stiff, handling is good and it managed to preserve much of the comfort for everyday use.

However, due to the width of the rims (7") when the car is full (3 + full trunk of lugage) the tyers ocasionally rub on the outside edge of the fender (it translates on webster as "splashboard" or "mudguard" from Croatian, I am not sure about the correct word in English).

I've found two solutions - one is to install stiffer shocks (but preserving the same height) and the other one is to do the bodywork on the fender, which also includes paintjob.

I don't won't to stiffen the car - I like it just now, and ofcourse, I don't won't to do extensive bodywork/paintjob ($$).

Are there any simpler solutions?

Thanks in advance for answering.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm really surprised the 195 wide tires rub the rear fender lip, especially since the car has not been lowered.

but 7" is a wide wheel, and maybe its got a low offset like 30-35 mm?

maybe add spring spacers to stiffen the coils when under heavy load:

Mr. Gasket Rubber Coil Spring Spacers - JEGS

another option is a narrower wheel (5 - 6") with a high offset like 45mm.

i drove my car with occassional rubbing. then someone rear ended my car, and i had the fender lips rolled as part of the repair. the paint cracked when the fenders lips were rolled, but the area was getting repainted anyway.

edit: more twist in rear coil spacers here for $6.00

Coil Springs: review Superior 181901 189001 181201 188001, Earls 977504 977522, buy Mr. Gasket 1281 1284, Aeroquip FCM2002, Cummins Industrial Tools

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you take your car to a local custom shop they can roll your fenders, they should heat the paint to avoid cracking.

As far as coil spacers, my rear coils have been stuffed with them for about a year now, and I haven't had any problems.

I have an X3 with 17x7's, but I would recommend getting your fenders rolled, its the "right" way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK.

I would really appriciate if you could give me a link to the exact ones you have? One year is nice testing period, and if your 17's are still alive, I guess that's good enough for me :)

You can PM me if you want to avoid direct advertising.

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK.

I would really appriciate if you could give me a link to the exact ones you have? One year is nice testing period, and if your 17's are still alive, I guess that's good enough for me :)

You can PM me if you want to avoid direct advertising.
err... i got mine at advance auto parts, I dont know the exact brand, but they are shaped like an H, and I have about 6 in each coil. They are kind of hard to get in at first, but once you get the hang of if its pretty easy, just read the back of the package. And they are cheep;)

I think for those round ones you have to take out the coil, i cant find a pic of mine, there kind of like those in the first link posted by el kabong.

sorry i couldnt be more help,
good luck,
Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent, I guess I'll try with the spacers first, and then everything else.

I've chosen Mr. Gasket 1287 1" rubber spring spacer - however, I can't find ANY webshop or store that ships to Europe (Croatia) with reasonable s&h.

The shop on ebay asks for ~25 US$ for handling and ~45 US$ for shipping PER ITEM that costs ~ 13$.. Thats ( 13 + 25 + 45 ) * 2 = 166 US$ for two pieces of rubber !!

ANY help/link/sth would be very appriciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm looking for 15X7 wheels. Who is the manufacturer ?
Sorry, I've just spotted this question: the manufacturer is Alessio, and my model is Alaska.

It's this one:

And here it is on the car:

·
Registered
99 Posts
from the picture it looks like the rims have the worng offset - they stick out of the guards a fraction

i would suggest getting the rear guard professionally rolled to widen them a fraction

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Mr. Gasket doesn't help.. I'll have to roll out the fender lips :(

I guess I'll work on the suspension first, maybe get some Eibach springs..

·
Registered
427 Posts
On my '99 X3, I had 205/45R16s, and I was experiencing rub, so I rolled the fender lip myself.
I was still experiencing a bit of rub, but changing to 195/45R16s have solved that problem
Like one of the other users said, it looks like your offset is just a bit off, making the tire stick out a bit too far so that it rubs. I'm not sure spacers would help, since even in full corner, it's still going to body roll and the tire might still come in contact.
I think a fender lip roll (or a fender flare - I've seen it done on another X3, but I can't remember where - but it would cost too much) would be the solution

1 - 15 of 15 Posts