Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I am from Bombay, India and have a 1.3l Getz which is 2 months old. I wish to improve the low end torque of this car as it is very sluggish till 3000rpm. Details on the engine are provided in this link as I beleive this engine is sold only in India. http://www.hyundai.co.in/getz/GetzMain.asp?pagename=engineering

I have carried out the following changes to the car but am still not satisfied with the low end power.
1> Free Flow Exhaust complete with Headers 4x2x1
2> Bosch Super 4 Plugs
3> MSD 8.5MM Super Conducter Plug Wires.
4> K&N Extreme Flow series 3" conical Filter
5> Custom Cold Air Intake Pipe
6> Yokohoma ES 100 195/60/14 tyres

Will be putting up pics in a day or two. I was planning to port/polish the head and throttle body and out in a Fuel Pressure Regulator as well. Will a ECU remap help solve this problem and or can I use a stand alone or piggy back like Greddy Emanage.

Any suggestions most welcome. I do not importing parts from anywhere in the world.

Viper

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi, as soon as you make the trottlebody opening larger your going to notice an improvement, those tires are to big, I have the 1.6 with a lot more upgrades than you have at the moment, and are running the same size tires but 15 rims. With that size of tires your going to kill the power (acceleration) in the lower rpm's. But like I said put a bigger throttlebody maybe from a 1.6 (a friend of mine did that with great results, same engine as your's) and your going to notice an improvement.
Hope this helps,
;):

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ahh,195/60 14's are FAR from big tyres,in fact they have around the same OD as stock. You could go for 195/50/14" rubber(as found on opel corsa GSI's) for more accelleration but it won't be a whole lot of difference as the weight of the wheel/tyre combo won't change a whole lot.

The chip/ecu/piggy-back re-map will allow some more low end(and high end at the same time) and the big throttle body will also make the engine a bit more responsive. The fuel pressure regulator won't do much and will be difficult to change(which will require your fuel system to be changed as the regulator is IN the fuel tank and is not removable without a new fuel pump AND a fuel return line-unless india had an external regulator on the fuel rail)

The 1.3 is sold here in Australia too and because of the shorter gear ratio's,the performance is pretty close to the 1.5(below 100 km/hr-60MPH). The problem you have is that the 1.3 is never going to produce big torque unless you go for turbo charging(expensive) or lots of custom work including high torque cams(bye bye top end)

The reality at the end of the day is,after these basic mods(exhaust,induction,chip) there isn't much else you can do to improve power below 3000rpm.Most engine mods are desined to increase mid/top end performance due to their function being improved gas flow.

If you need more info,I believe the accent is sold in the UK with the 1.3 engine, so you may have some luck there too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. One more question would you guys recommend swapping the throttle body before a head/intake porting job. My tuner suggested that I do porting first as the ports would be stock and need to be enlarged before.

I intend to swap witha throttle body from the 1.5l Accent also sold here.

Viper

·
Registered
311 Posts
It depends if the plenum chamber is different on the 1.3 and 1.5 models. A bigger throttle body but have the plenum bored to suit. Take your throttle body off and see if there is a bigger entry than the actual butterfly opening already and measure it. It will also depend on whether you have a plastic plenum or aluminium plenum!(plastic is ok,alum needs work)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Just an afterthought. I plan to swap them from a friends Accent 1.5l. Will the performance of his car drop if he uses the throttle body from my Getz or what will be the changes in the donor car. Do you suggest swapping the entire plenum as well. Will I have to get the car scanned from the service centre or reset the ECM.

Viper

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

The Throttle swap is not possible as the 2 bodies are completely different. Will be boring and enlarging my own throttle body tomorrow.
Posting pics o fmar car below.

Viper

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just been searching for mods on my own car and found somethin interesting. Whether it will work for you is another thing!
See if you can get an adjustable cam gear and ADVANCE the timing on your stock cam a few degrees. This will imporve low torque at the expense of some top end. It will be relatively cheap too(RPW do the gears,I'm sure others do too). Just make sure it's done properly!
Have you also looked at getting the head shaved? The extra compression(assuming you use the right fuel) will also improve torque.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

I am looking at shaving the head and porting the cylinder head but only after a while as the car has only done 2500kms. Will try out the cam timing as suggested. BTW am getting the throttle body enlarged tomorrow will keep you posted of the results. Have posted pics of my car in the profile

Viper

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive lived in Bombay (Shivaji Park) for several years and saw the Getz when it was launched. I'm not sure why you chose that car when the new swift has the Suzuki 1.3L engine which is MUCH more responsive to NA mods.

Anyway, now that you've done exhaust and intake mods, I'd recommend headwork and cams. Contact me at: [email protected] and I can try and recommend the few good sources I know off in Bombay.

Welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts