Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a shout out, glad to find this site.

My friend and I picked up a free 01 Elantra GLS with a blown engine and autotragic transmission from his uncle. The car has 107K on it, the history states that the tranny was stuck and wouldn't upshift but he ran it like that until a bang and then the motor started making a ton of noise.

The motor starts and runs but definitely sounds like a spun bearing. Not familar with the Beta motors, but search is teaching me (hey, I live on Saturn forums where you get your head chopped off for not using search). Looking forward to rebuilding this car with some ideas and help from here.

Any suggestions (and forced induction is a no-no, this probably will be a DD)? Where can I find a rebuild kit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rip the motor and trans out, replace with a used motor (normally cheap) and swap in a 5spd. :D
Ha ha, 5 speed is not an option. Picked up a tranny with 20K miles for 150 bucks; never saw a tranny come with a torque converter that has a ring starter gear before. Too bad, the engine was there when we bought the tranny but weren't told about the bad engine, now that engine is gone :( it was only $300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts