Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im still new to this forum, and so far looks like not many people here is really too much into pony's. I just got my 87 pony and decided to keep it as a project.

I finished installing an 86 4 speed standard transmission into it, because i bought it as an automatic. I have alot of plans for it but im just wondering if anyone here has done or knows anyone who plays with pony's?

If so, can you tell me some carb setups youve done. Im thinking aset of webber sidedrafts from a volkswagen, and some people have said to try the first generation prelude carbs? Also, has anyojne ever tried squeezing a 4g54 motor into a pony? Its nothing special but it is a 2.6 and thats a whole litre from stock motor(also came injected)

Thanks
Tommy

·
Registered
256 Posts
try jed118 he is into ponys

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
I have ALL the Ponys!

I just stored my red one for the winter, and i'm looking at storing the blue one next week.

These guys are mostly stock, one's a base model (blue one) 1.4L 4 speed, one's a 1.4L 5 speed. (1400GL)

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/looks-kill/77561-more-pony-pics.html

This guy's got a 2.0L stellar engine in it, and when I have some time, I'm going to swap out the taillights to ones out of a peugeot 405, and the front lights and grille from that of a 1995 Polonez Caro (with clear corners).

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/looks-kill/77404-16s-yayuh.html
(yes that's a Krakow plate, I'm actually from Warszawa though)

I'm doing this to it now:

http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/na-tuning/78585-one-4g67-4g63-head-g4cs-4g64.html

I have thought about the G54B (Mighty Max/D50) but it's SOHC... so I'm doing a 4G64 DOHC hybrid instead. The G54B will fit though, and I will be using a transmission from one such car after i'm done.

Ask me anything, I probably know the answer. James(86Stellar) knows something about the stock units (1.4/1.6) as well.

Welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
492 Posts
jed you are correct on that note

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice, looks like there are some people into pony's :D

Im from poland too, grew up in Rszezow, been to warsawa alot. Lots of polonez in poland.

Well i just finish doing my tranny swap, its just a 4 speed out of an 85, but i got whole clutch assembly from 86 (a little bigger) along with a 86 flywheel. Havent done a whole lot to this car but i do have some questions.

I need different wheels for this car, because i cant drive with these dumb steelies, by looks i think an old 4 cylinder 4 bolt mustang or a pinto will work. Pintos had nice mags, wonder if it will fit on?

Jed, those are very nice shape pony's, your red one is exactly like mine.

Thanks
Tommy

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
The bolt pattern is 4x108. I think. In any case, any ford wheel will fit on it (I have 15" focus rims and 16" Cougars) You can get a set at a wrecking yard, I bought my 15" for $200 with rubbers (two were wasted) off a Kitchener Focus site.

As for mods, the 1.6L engine had a lightened flywheel, recurved (and converted to digital) distributor, wicked race cam (I don't know the specs, but it barely idled and roared pretty loudly) and I was working on some headders for it out of a Plymouth Arrow. The MSD and the 8mm ACCELL wires were kept in the car. I painted the block black, and the rocker cover silver, and when I changed the pan, I painted it red. It would definitely benefit from a larger carburator, like one from a 2 liter stellar.

It had 85,000 Km when I bought it, and I pulled it at 110k. It's sitting around now doing nothing. It is without a carburator, but otherwise complete. I'd consider selling it too, as I don't need it.

You should have kept the flywheel, the 1.4 is lighter!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah lighter flywheel would have beet alot better, but im still considering doing somethign insane with this car. I just need the time to think, and of course the $$$

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Do the G54B 2.6L. It fits and can be had very cheap, LOADS of torque too. I've always wanted to do it, but the 4G64 seems like it can do better with a DOHC head.

Where are you in Canada?

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
BC eh? Your Pony is probably in better shape than mine... I'd LOVE to import one from there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts