Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 08 Accent and was wondering if the hyundai acc. shortram intake would be worth it

·
Registered
686 Posts
its always worth it to make your car breathe better

·
Banned
59 Posts
I just bought my 08 Accent and was wondering if the hyundai acc. shortram intake would be worth it
I say if you're gonna go through the motions of taking out the stock air intake system and the associated trouble, replace it with a cold air intake instead of a short ram, if that option is available.

I put in an CAI for my Tibby and I'm loving it.

-Optimummind

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
only cai that i know of is from shark racing. and it sucks. alot of people make custom ones. i was using an eclipse cai. some use spectre.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah it is worth it if ou like to make a noise

Here's my two cents: This is fairly common knowledge, but a Cold air intake gets you colder air which is more dense (more volume) than hot air, so you get more air volume in the combustion chamber which gets you more power.Since you put it down in the wheel well, there is the slight chance you might get hydrolock, if you decide, for instance, to drive through a deep river and suck up some water.
A short ram intake will help get more air into the engine as well, but it will warm up after awhile. Just like a performance exhaust, your car will sound ballsier, and make an amazing roar when you reach mid to high revs.If you arer one of those types who gets a mod just to make a noise, then the SRI will fit the bill.
The SRI is safe from hydrolock, generally. Also, you want to look at the diameter of your intake pipe. Many people think that bigger is better, but that is only true to a point. Think of the venturi effect, or better yet, the "straw effect." As you increase straw diameter, you intuitively know there is a certain diameter you would reach where you will find that it would be impossible to suck up more water (or soda) through your straw...the optimal diameter, I believe for most Hyundai 4-cylinder cars is 2.75 inches...(sharkracing.com has a short ram intake that is 2.75 inches for BOTh the 4 and 6 cylinder Tiburon. Any thicker, and you could lose a bit of low-end torque...). {{I borrowed heavily from ezine.com for my info, btw.}}
I found this out from experimenting with my 2003 2.0 Tiburon. I cut off a 3-inch 1993 Honda Civic short ram intake. It was a little too big.I couldn't screech off in first gear so easily any more.
For the EXHAUST, you shouldn't go bigger than 2.5 inches for your accent,(unless you get a turbo) because of negative back pressure ("straw effect" again, but this time blowing instead of sucking, lol)
If you go to sharkracing.com, you get some helpful info to their "faqs" email, but bear in mind that they want you to buy their products...:)

Herer's a site for you
http://ezinearticles.com/?Air-Intakes---Explaining-The-Secrets-To-The-Intake-Charge&id=494506er ya

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry, my bad

Here is the link, the one I posted above was incomplete

Air Intakes - Explaining The Secrets To The Intake Charge

Here's my two cents: This is fairly common knowledge, but a Cold air intake gets you colder air which is more dense (more volume) than hot air, so you get more air volume in the combustion chamber which gets you more power.Since you put it down in the wheel well, there is the slight chance you might get hydrolock, if you decide, for instance, to drive through a deep river and suck up some water.
A short ram intake will help get more air into the engine as well, but it will warm up after awhile. Just like a performance exhaust, your car will sound ballsier, and make an amazing roar when you reach mid to high revs.If you arer one of those types who gets a mod just to make a noise, then the SRI will fit the bill.
The SRI is safe from hydrolock, generally. Also, you want to look at the diameter of your intake pipe. Many people think that bigger is better, but that is only true to a point. Think of the venturi effect, or better yet, the "straw effect." As you increase straw diameter, you intuitively know there is a certain diameter you would reach where you will find that it would be impossible to suck up more water (or soda) through your straw...the optimal diameter, I believe for most Hyundai 4-cylinder cars is 2.75 inches...(sharkracing.com has a short ram intake that is 2.75 inches for BOTh the 4 and 6 cylinder Tiburon. Any thicker, and you could lose a bit of low-end torque...). {{I borrowed heavily from ezine.com for my info, btw.}}
I found this out from experimenting with my 2003 2.0 Tiburon. I cut off a 3-inch 1993 Honda Civic short ram intake. It was a little too big.I couldn't screech off in first gear so easily any more.
For the EXHAUST, you shouldn't go bigger than 2.5 inches for your accent,(unless you get a turbo) because of negative back pressure ("straw effect" again, but this time blowing instead of sucking, lol)
If you go to sharkracing.com, you get some helpful info to their "faqs" email, but bear in mind that they want you to buy their products...:)

Herer's a site for you
http://ezinearticles.com/?Air-Intakes---Explaining-The-Secrets-To-The-Intake-Charge&id=494506er ya

1 - 6 of 6 Posts