Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turbo is in guys. I'm running 3 psi for now and I'm going to install the beta injectors today. How much to boost? Is 5 ok?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm finally running 3psi as of today as well.

I need to install my rrfpr and tune my safc, but all seems well so far.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my car is running great too. No chokes, no jerking off, no nothing. Power increased all over the rpm band and hits the rpm limiter just like that! I even installed a single piston bov and works perfect. Not even a stall and great sound. I tried to raise boost but my mbc failed so I tossed it away :(. Should I install the beta injectors now? It seems pretty much ok with the stock ones.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
5psi on stock injectors should be safe......

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just some details on my setup. I'll get some pictures and post elsewhere:

Homemade log-style turbo manifold
DSM T25
Homemade 2.5" o2 housing
Turbonetics Deltagate wastegate
2.5" exhaust
2.5" high flow cat, no muffler
2" hot side intercooler piping
2.5" cold side piping
30" x 2.75" x 5.5" Front Mount Intercooler
2nd gen DSM BOV
Modified intake manifold adpated to Tiburon Throttle Body
1999 Tiburon Throttle Body
1999 Tiburon MAF
APEX-i SAFC II Air Flow Convertor
1999 Tiburon Fuel Injectors
MSD 1:1 Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator
Earl's High Flow Fuel Filter and SS Braided Lines
DSM Walbro 190L/h fuel pump
2 step colder plugs

I've gotta fix a coolent leak when I get home. Then I can start tuning. Dyno time maybe after taxes.

[Edited by Gimp on Apr 18, 2006 7:48 AM]

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have either bigger injectors nor fpr. I have beta injectors available but not installed. I know I must be leaning out somewhere but I don't have a a/f gauge at the moment. Maybe I really should install the beta injectors. Do you think I should? I'm not exceeding 3psi for now until I get my safc2 and mbc.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Jap has a 1.5, but I dont know at the moment does it have a maf/map? Is the fuel setup returnless or does it return the fuel?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I read that he swapped in a '98 motor after the 1.3 died, so it should be maf. Congrats to both of you guys! Can't wait to see more pics, japakos. :)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.. well the engine is 1.5l sohc /MAF based, stock ECU from Accent 2002. The engine came from a LC not an X3 as I stated before. The block has engraved an 1.5 LC tag. As I said before, I'm running 3psi of boost without any problems at all even though I installed a single piston bov. (this bov gave me problems back to 1.3engine). I have the stock injectors installed and I am between installing the beta or installing my piggyback which guides a 5th injector 240cc. The piggyback was tuned when I had the 1.3 and the 5th injector uses 50% of its resource to feed the intake plenum. It uses a vacuum line, rpm signal and it's tuned till 5500rpm and then stops. Any ideas /suggestions would be nice.

**Future plans: installing the safc2 unit and 7psi of boost.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You are much better suited with a maf than a map. Reason being that the map will sense the boost (above 0) and freak the ecu out causing multiple problems. The maf is blind to boost and only becomes a problem at higher boost levels once it maxes out. Jap, the big question is does the fuel have a return line or is it returnless? That will make a big difference on how much boost you can run.... If it returns your alot better off. At 3psi the turbo would be more of an exhaust restriction than a power addition. At 5psi the maf reading should provide plenty of fuel via the ecu.... You mentioned installing a rising rate so im assuming your fuel does return....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fuel line is returnless and I'm not in the mood trying to modify it. I tried to increase the boost and it hit 6psi there was some sort of cut.Probably the maf maxed out. At 5psi it was good but then my mbc failed. So I have not mbc and wastegate has 3psi deafault. My question is: Will I have to run the injectors at 3-5psi, the piggyback or leave it just like that?

[Edited by japakos on Apr 18, 2006 1:05 PM]

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The returnless will be a disadvantage, its causing rueb some problems. Im not sure what that cut would of been, but it wasnt the maf maxing out. It may have been maxing out but it doesnt cause the car to cut out, just go lean b/c it cant add more gas and throws a cel. You should go ahead and put those injectors in IMO. Without a wideband you will never really know where your a/f ratio is, just it runs good or dont.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with you. Wideband is an advantage for perfect tuning and with the safc2 it can be great. My plans are for them as well. Please explain to me sth. I never understood how you put bigger injectors and the car sends more fuel. Isn't the a/f ratio set by the ecu? I understand that the ecu has a little bit more to give but I'll probably need some fueling management such as safc. From what I have undertood is: You put bigger injectors, the ecu tries to give a certain voltage to them. Let's say for ex. 5volts. The stock injectors at 5v give 195cc. So the beta injectors will give 195cc by using lower voltage. This is my theory for using bigger maf as well. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just want to understand this and not to make any damage. I have a plan on using my piggyback with the 5th injector. Why isn't this a good idea? I think it'll be better because it will adjust the additional fuel to the engine depending on boost and rpm until the oem fuel pump maxes out and/or maf as well. Give me some information I'd like some lessons on these Shawn.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
842 Posts
cut out = spark plug gap possibly? what plugs are you running, brand, type, heat range, and gap? when did 'cutout' occur, under what conditions?

also what are you using for fuel? please please tell me you've drained all low grade and replaced w/ higher octane.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually no, I used normal gas and haven't change the spark plugs. I know I must but was just testing my mbc so now that is broken I must wait till I get a new one. The previous post is the one I'm considered. My fuel system is stock and I have 4 beta injector in my one hand and a piggyback 5th injector in my other. Which to choose is my concern.The piggyback reads rpm and boost in order to make fuel adustements. Please help me with this. I am willing to put all of them if this solves my fueling problems. Better rich than lean

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I think you nailed the engine cut on the head jason, ignition. Stock plug gap (is what? 36-43 i cant even remember lol). You need to put one heat range colder plugs in it, autolite copper core part #3923. You can even go 2 heat ranges colder but i have done so and found no advantage to it.. Switch those plugs!!!! I have toyed around with the notion of a 5th injector and been doing alot of research on it. With lower boost levels (ie. 10psi and below) it seems it would be a GREAT way to do things and I would encourage you to do so (especially if you have a returnless setup that you dont want to convert). Also go fill up your tank with the highest octane gas you can buy and if your not going to drain the old gas add in a bottle of octane booster! That was the first thing I did after my setup was drivable, straight to the gas station for the highest octane available. From then on never put in cheap gas again, be glad its a 4 cylinder lol Take care of those couple of things and use the 5th injector if you would like and you will be on the road to higher boost ;): The only arguement with a 5th injector is that its harder to tune because the gas is not always spread evenly, generally the problems only lie when your trying to add LOTS of gas via extra injectors.....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, the piggyback 5th injector and safc2 combo would be perfect for my setup. You see, the thing I want to avoid is the tuning by 3rd person such as dyno-tuner because you know they are thieves. I'd rather brake the engine myself than paying $1000 again and again and never have a car. It seems you all understood that :). So, in order to avoid this, here is the issue. The 5th injector right now is tuned to give fuel till 5500rpm and 50% of it it's used. The injector is a 240cc so common logic says it reaches 120cc and then stops. To tune this they want $1000. So, I was thinking , 50%? ok. 500cc injector and then it will use 250 give or take. I know some setups here to the 1.3 engines using 500cc 5th injector feeding approx. 50% of it at 10-11psi. The 1.3 has 165cc stock injectors but the 1.5 uses sth like 195 if I'm not mistaken. I've done some math on this and they say:
1.3 - 4x165cc=660 + 50%of 500cc inj=250+660, so we have 910cc of fuel feeding. For the
1.5 - 4*195cc=780 + 240=1020cc of fuel.
Now I have 4*195cc=780+120=900

So we have a difference of 120cc of fuel. The 120cc of fuel is the 50% of the 5th injector I have right now. So I assume that I'll need a fuel mixture of +50% right now. Thinking of the above, I'll have to use at least a 480cc injector at 50%.
Sticky as hell, and I made the topic science fiction for a freaking piggyback. ... phew :)

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
IMO if you go with the 5th injector steer away from the safc and go with a wideband. You can get a innovative wideband for $200 on ebay. Theirs even a company that sells a display with it for that price! Then tune with that 5th injector on the wideband, I see no real need for the safc especially if you eventually want 8-10psi (the maf is maxed out). Doing the math is one thing, real life logic is another.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts