Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon SE from a dealership down in GA.
I bought it for $14,900 and it had 50K miles.
2.7L 6 spd.
No damage to the car and it runs really well.
Now I've heard that Hyundai's cars don't have the highest quality parts.
In a way i kind of believe it cause when i was in Korea i saw a lot of broken down new cars.
I'm just wondering if this is true. If it is I'm looking for advice as far as what parts i should look at replacing and getting parts that are better quality.
I know it may be pricey for the parts but I'm willing to spend some money to make sure my car will run good for awhile.

Thanks.

Johno

·
Registered
256 Posts
i don't know where you came up with that idea about crappy parts but i have been racing and driving like a madman with my tib for 5 years now and the only problem i had was with the clutch and they fixed that for the newer tibs

and if you spent any time in korea there is a reason they are allways breaking down they are out of gas and the are allways crashing into each other

and lastly why would you buy a car if you think that it is made with crappy parts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Now I've heard that Hyundai's cars don't have the highest quality parts.
In a way i kind of believe it cause when i was in Korea i saw a lot of broken down new cars.
I'm just wondering if this is true.
No, it's not true. My 2004 Tiburon was a great car. And the 2006 Tucson I have now is just as good. No parts quality problems at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't know where you came up with that idea about crappy parts but i have been racing and driving like a madman with my tib for 5 years now and the only problem i had was with the clutch and they fixed that for the newer tibs

and if you spent any time in korea there is a reason they are allways breaking down they are out of gas and the are allways crashing into each other

and lastly why would you buy a car if you think that it is made with crappy parts
Well the reason i was bringing that up is because i was just wondering if it was true. And "IF" it was than i wanted to know what parts would be best to replace first thats all.
I've always liked the tiburon and ever since i got mine its been a good car.
I already know that with a stick the clutch will have to be replaced eventually and I am well aware of that.
Just to make everyone aware I am new with this and I'm trying to learn which is why i joined this site.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
I also have a yellow 2005 6-speed SE.

You will love it and I assure you that Hyundais are among the most reliable cars made.

I have killed the powertrain or drivetrain in every vehicle I've driven for more than 20k miles until I bought my Accent. The Accent is now primarily a track car and has 125,000 miles on it and it's going strong even with quite a few mods done to it. We haven't had the Tib for all that long yet but it's built better than the Accent so I expect the same level of service.

78 Blazer - 2 rear differential failures
85 CJ-7 - engine failure
87 Aerostar - engine failure
85 S-10 Blazer - transmission failure
87 cougar - 2 transmission failures
95 S-10 Blazer - rear differential, engine failure
98 Firebird - transmission failure

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright
Thanks guys.
Now my next question is what do you guys recommend i work on upgrading first.
I'm not necessarily qorried about stuff like giving my car more power as much as things that would more help my car in quality.
Like things that will help my car just run better in general.
Than once I get all that out of the way I'll start Buying parts to help my car run faster.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
As far as reliability mods go...

• The clutch is substandard so upgrading to a heavy duty unit is an improvement
  • The valve which limits the speed at which the clutch engages gives the clutch a spongy feeling and if you drive hard you will wear the clutch out faster. There is a DIY removal article somewhere on here or NT.com
  • Change the transaxle lube to Redline MT-90
  • Do an engine flush and change to a high quality synthetic oil and Wix oil filters
  • Change to steel braided brake cables
  • Install an oil cooler
  • Change to polyurethane bushings
  • Install a large gauge ground distribution kit
  • Re-wire alternator, starter, and fuse box to battery leads with 4 gauge or 2 gauge cable
  • Install a voltage stabilizer
  • Install an oil catch can
  • Install real gauges so that you can monitor oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, and voltage
  • Install a wideband O2 sensor and gauge to monitor actual air/fuel ratio to ensure that it's where you want it to be

That's about all I could think of in a few minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As far as reliability mods go...

• The clutch is substandard so upgrading to a heavy duty unit is an improvement
  • The valve which limits the speed at which the clutch engages gives the clutch a spongy feeling and if you drive hard you will wear the clutch out faster. There is a DIY removal article somewhere on here or NT.com
  • Change the transaxle lube to Redline MT-90
  • Do an engine flush and change to a high quality synthetic oil and Wix oil filters
  • Change to steel braided brake cables
  • Install an oil cooler
  • Change to polyurethane bushings
  • Install a large gauge ground distribution kit
  • Re-wire alternator, starter, and fuse box to battery leads with 4 gauge or 2 gauge cable
  • Install a voltage stabilizer
  • Install an oil catch can
  • Install real gauges so that you can monitor oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, and voltage
  • Install a wideband O2 sensor and gauge to monitor actual air/fuel ratio to ensure that it's where you want it to be

That's about all I could think of in a few minutes.
Thanks man, yeah all of that stuff i never would thought of. Just a couple.
I really do appreciate the advice.
Ill be sure to take wut you said and do some research so that in the future I can start work on this stuff.

You just answered my question exactly as far as reliability mods go, now if I may ask, what should i start with when I begin to work on performance mods. How I should go about installing the parts and the best way to purchase them such as: where would be best to purchase and who the best companies are to purchase these parts.

Thanks,
Johno

·
Registered
256 Posts
depends on what you are looking to do with the car and when i say that there are alot of things to consider
are you going to drag or autocross the car
are you looking to go forced induction or na
and what is your budget.

the basics are pretty simple cold air intake by aem or injen,
headers depending on what your states regulations are and i would suggest dc or ripp,
cat back exhaust there are soo many,
either springs or coil overs by tein or eibach,
upgraded clutch and flywheel and really the brand is up to you on this one, better brake pads and dot 4 fluid i would go with ebc and motul,
and lastly but most important is better tires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts