Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a '97 Excel, SOHC 1.5L model and all I did was change the engine oil and air filter. Now it doesn't idle properly and is severly over fueling, as in lots of black smoke from the exhaust and fouling of the spark plugs after I cleaned them.
I've put new plugs in and that didn't work. I thought it might have been an air leak between the airbox, air flow meter and throttle body but that is all secure. I then checked the hose running off from the front of the throttle body to the ISC valve, and that is secure and not leaking. The air temp sensor is new as I replaced that 4 months ago.
The fuel warning light has just come on, and I'm going out tomorrow to buy a new fuel filter. I replaced the timing belt a few months ago, and was running fine until that service.
I also cleaned up the battery terminals as I had to replace the positive one, and topped up the coolant as I have leak at the thermostat housing. I've pulled all the terminals apart and cleaned them with electrical cleaner.
The condition of the drive belts are good and the tension is fine.
All I can think of, and I don't think its related, I moved the throttle when the engine was off as I was looking inside it to see how clean it was, then the accelerator cable became really slack. it just lost its tension. When I checked the pedal, it was sloppy as it had a ridiculous amount of free play. I searched the car and under the carpet as I thought some sort of bush might have fallen out from where the cable sits against the pedal arm. But there was nothing there. Then I adjusted the cable at the top to take up the slack to no avail. It does sound like its misfing when idling. I bought some new leads but they didn't fit properly and I have to take them back to exchange them for some new ones.
With out having some form of diagnostic tools I am really perplexed. The only other thing I can think of is faulty fuel injectors, but I cant fathom the timing of the problem right after I just changed the oil and air filter.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Brewster

·
Registered
464 Posts
Cliffs:
My car was running great. Then the ONLY things I did were:
I changed my oil and oil filter, as well as the air filter
I was fiddling with the throttle when I did the service, and the throttle cable went slack. I adjusted the cable.
The car now runs like poo

Is that correct?

You should have found out why the throttle cable went slack before adjusting it. Did it pop off the throttle body pulley? Maybe (not likely) it broke? Does it have a quick-change feature (like bicycle cables) or a bolt to hold it at either end? If it is held in at the ends by cable tension and you loosened the cable it might have fallen out at one end (or the middle but I never heard of a throttle cable with a joint in the middle)

Did you reverse the air flow sensor? It may have an arrow on it pointing to the engine.
You did put enough oil in it again right (just asking, you never know)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stocker,

The cable is on the throttle body and isn't broken, as I can pull the cable from one end and it moves at the other. When I investigated the reason why it came off, I was perplexed by what could have fallen off at the acclerator pedal end, as it has two adusting nuts at the throttle body end. Where the cable goes through the accelerator pedal arm, it looks like somethings missing but I've been unable to find it. When I go into work today, I will have a look at another model to see what is missing. The oil level is spot on, and he air flow meter is on the right way. Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stocker I apologise, you are absolutely correct. I did have the AFM the wrong way around, in fact it was upside down and had what appeared to be an arrow going the right way, but clearly not as definite on the right side up. Thank you so much, the engine is running as it should be.
The only problem I have left is the accelerator pedal, it has nearly an inch and a half free play before taking up the slack. I looked at a similar model today and I noticed mine was missing what appeared to be some sort of white disc that the arm sits against when not in use. Maybe thats why I have so much more slack. However, I couldn't find it in the car which makes me believe its probably been gone for awhile now.
Anyway I'll have another look tomorrow.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The airflow meter has the arrow for a reason: to make internet mechanics look good. That error is made much more frequently than you might think. Just not everyone posts about it ;) It is also something you are likely to only do once eh. Good luck finding whatever it is that you are missing. You might have a peek up under the dash, under the seats & inside the console, in case it went flying.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cliffs:
My car was running great. Then the ONLY things I did were:
I changed my oil and oil filter, as well as the air filter
I was fiddling with the throttle when I did the service, and the throttle cable went slack. I adjusted the cable.
The car now runs like poo

Is that correct?
:D If only all posts were as compact and to the point as yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts