Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you leaving the back seat out? I used to drive my car gutted, and the single best sound damper was the back portion of the backseat.
I plan to drive with it in. Taking it out does nothing for me. I weighs like 5 lb if that. Everything will be put back in, too look stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
at first i thought you were just using duck tape!
tell us how much it works~~ i really need to invest in some of that. my car has so much noise!

·
Registered
82 Posts
You'll notice a lot of road noise reduction. Im not gonna lie your install looks nice...i got lazy and used big pieces and it ended up looking really nasty...probably gonna redo mine once spring rolls around.

·
Registered
686 Posts
dynamat or if you dont want to spend that much you can get some cheaper thinner stuff

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but that won't do much for road noise. If you want to effectively lessen the amount of road noise, you'll need a multi-pronged approach. First off, the material you put on the doors and floor look to be very very thin. Like a few people asked, it looks a lot like duct tape. I really really really hope you're not using materials from Home Depot or a home improvement store for your car. Many people are on the fence about stuff called "Peel 'n Seal" which is what it looks like is on your car but I personally would never use it. Asphalt based stuff like "Peel n Seal" have a lower melting point, therefore on a hot day, the stuff will leak and you'll end up taking your car apart again and redoing the deadening job. Remember, this is stuff that's generally laying on a slanted roof in the hot sun....it's meant to take heat, but on a nearly flat surface, not a vertical one like the inside of your doors. God forbid you put it upside down and use it on the inside of your car's headliner. If you're looking for alternatives to the more expensive Dynamat, then go with something from Raamat or Second Skin. There's a pretty comprehensive post on the differences between the butyl and asphalt based stuff here: Sound Deadener Showdown

Also, the next thing you want to do on your car is seal up all those holes. The purpose of putting the deadener on your car in the first place is to add mass. Make the car heavier and it rattles less. Deadener shouldn't be called deadener, it should be called dampener. You can't kill sound, but you can muffle it, and that's the point in adding the silver stuff. Fill the holes and you lessen the amount of movable air between the doors and the rest of the panels. Try to fill all the gaps inbetween your deadener. The less gaps you have, the less air will leak in or out and the less sound waves bouncing around your car.

The deadener is great for getting rid of the high and mid-range frequencies...that's why when you apply stuff like peel and seal or dynamat you notice such a difference between when you had it on before and when you didn't. But you still need something else to block the noise as well. That's where foam comes in. Closed cell foam, like Ensolite or similar materials will absorb the stuff that seeps through the deadener. The deadener adds mass to your doors, causing less vibration and reflects the sound; the ensolite or closed cell foam will try to soak up the rest. Remember, sound can't exist in a vacuum, so you want to try seal up as much of your car as possible so the only thing that vibrates is your head as your tunes hit your ear!

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
it's true that butyl based deadeners only work for sound and not really for insulation of NVH,

i've added upholstery grade foam in every cavity of my LC accent, from the door panels to the lower part of the door skins, quarter panels, added silicone to the rear speaker panels and have no vibration but a muted subwoofer like sound

i've added a concoction of a foam/edead sandwich on the hood, i used a heavy duty spray on adhesive that makes the foam stick to the edead, the engine is barely audible, i have a header on my engine but i just hear a muted raspiness when i floor it,

another way to deaden road noise is wrap the splashshields with a plastic carpet like material that the ford focus use's..the sound of debris and pebbles spracking on the plastic splashshield is a irritative noise,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts