Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I love this car, but it's sooooo slow. What are some good mods that won't void the amazing warranty? Exhaust, air intake chips? Recommendations on companies to get this stuff from?
Thanks alot!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately, there are not as many accessories for the newer style accents (2006+). But Evo Fusion USA and http://www.sharkracing.com/ are both great, well reputed places.

Only the more expensive computer chips are actually worth while. Do not waste your money on the ones you find on ebay. You could get a short ram air intake and that would add a little power to your engine. A new header and exhaust would be next, and they'd help too. I have little knowledge of what you should do after that to get more power. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
buy a faster car lol

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Unfortunately, there are not as many accessories for the newer style accents (2006+). But Evo Fusion USA and http://www.sharkracing.com/ are both great, well reputed places.

Only the more expensive computer chips are actually worth while. Do not waste your money on the ones you find on ebay. You could get a short ram air intake and that would add a little power to your engine. A new header and exhaust would be next, and they'd help too. I have little knowledge of what you should do after that to get more power. Good luck!
umm...

I wouldn't call either of those two companies anything but random. Ive seen people say they got the item they purchased without problem, but I have seen more that it took months if it ever showed up. The search feature will show you what I am talking about. If you are going to use them at least confirm they actually have the part you are ordering in stock....

As of right now I have yet to see any reflashes/piggyback/etc that were worth anything. Those who have tried powerchips had issues and the results were not worth the money dropped. A stand alone would do wonders for the motor, but would kill the warrenty (if they found out about it) and would be a true PITA to tune. The 08 has CVVT complicating the fuel/spark maps a few times over. SAFC... eh. If you can find a way to stop the stock ECM from fighting your settings constantly.

Headers might be an issue with some dealerships due to the extremely good chance of a CEL after the install.

My advice. Go talk to your local dealer and see what they say is going to far with modifications. Maybe see what they offer. If they install intakes, exhaust, etc then they can't say much if you do the same thing. Nothing you can do that will not void the warranty is going to make that accent truly fast. (Yes I understand the laws behind modifications and warrenty, but bolt ons can only do so much).

That or trust in the fact that major engine failure with hyundais is very rare and do what you want to with the car. That and used engines are relatively cheap. If something fails it will more than likely be something small. They can't void the bumper to bumper when a door lock fails because of the turbo sitting under the hood.

Auto or 5spd?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a noob. listen to wytchdctr. he has 6,888 posts and I now have ... 10. So talk to your dealer about what they can do, what you can do, and how it affects the warranty.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
return it and get a manual?

i have a sneaking suspicion that the dealer is going to have a problem with everything that you do. even though hyundai has OEM SRIs, if you put one on, they may void your warranty because it wasn't installed by a hyundai tech. they are twats. i would just say that if you were ever to bring your car in for work, take all of the mods off of it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Damnit!

I already got beat...

Upgrades + New Car = BAD IDEA

You buy a new car mainly for 3 things... Warranty, Reliabilty, and the ability to say, "Yeah... That was my fault." If you really want to make a fast car, buy something somewhat old and something you can **** with and not really care too much. I really wouldn't touch your car in anyway without going over with a Hyundai tech what you CAN do and what you CAN'T do because a 10 year warranty can really really be nice.

Howie!~

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Different car. Sorry to say....

I gave up with mine, and I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I know it's not the most supportive reply ever, but I'm not gonna lie to you.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
To an extent, yes it will. Manual transmission eat less power than automatics, at least on these cars.

There's really nothing you can do that won't void the warranty. The best thing to do is get a project car.

·
Registered
13,145 Posts
A manual tranny Accent is able to go over 125mph when some people can't even break 100mph in the auto. Plus the manual has more than 3 car lenghts on an identical automatic car in a 0-60 pull.

I've never had any warranty problems with I/H/E. It is against federal law to have your warranty voided for modifications. It's called the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. For an explanation since I don't want to write everything again see here: Your Warranty!

That doesn't mean that the dealer won't tell you your warranty is voided. They often do...or try to avoid doing warranty work for any other reason they can think of.

The bottom line is:
1.) If you replace a part the warranty no longer covers the part you removed and it doesn't cover the aftermarket part you installed.
2.) If it can be proven that an aftermarket part caused a failure that would be covered under warranty then the work does not have to be covered.
3.) If I buy a brand new Tiburon and pull the entire drivetrain and replace it with a LS1 and convert it to rear wheel drive and my passenger's side electric window switch fails they still have to replace it under warranty.

Note that they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure. Not suspect it, or just tell you it did, they have to PROVE it. It's the LAW. If they do not follow this law you can take legal action and receive compensation for damages you have incurred.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here in Canada, the dealerships have quite a few "performance" upgrades for the MC.
AEM Ram Air Intake
Catback Exhaust
Performance Clutch (manuals only)
They have quiet a few suspension upgrades.

link
Hyundai - Performance Parts

You also have the option of the Hyundai Accessory Store:
All New Hyundai Accent Accessories - Hyundai Accessory Store

All these accessories DO NOT void the warranty.

I have all the accessories offered by hyundai minus the catback and short shifter which will be installed in a weeks time.

I just hope Hyundai Canada offers a turbo for the MC accent.

and Yes an auto is slower than a manual. The trannys in the Auto accent just plain suck... they jerk too much and have a response time of an elephant. When I test drove one I stepped on the accelerator and 8-10 seconds later it accelerated...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thanks for all the input! I got one of those BS chips of ebay. It feels like it did a little gain.... I was shocked. For 11.54 it was worth a shot. I am going to order the air intake, and exhaust from Hyundai Canada tomorrow and pray to God it gets here soon. My last car was a 1993 Turbo Mr2. Had to many speeding tickets. ( yet i want to make this faster ) Well once again, Thanks everyone, I'll keep yall posted on this!

·
Registered
686 Posts
take that chip off, it hurts your engine, why are all these people buying this crap????

·
Registered
502 Posts
new car warranty's are really only good for 1 thing...
at 99,990 miles you blow your engine and get them to replace it.
easiest way to do this is a good old brick on the gas in neutral.

thats the best way to say I'm almost done with 100,000 miles and I want a new engine.

JK
I'm jk don't listen to me :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I first bought my car 2006 hyundai gsi I mod'd a few things intake, shifter. I realized that this car is not worth moding at all. I raced my buddies 95 Acura integra 1.8L and he didn't just beat me he killed me and his car is stock. I figure if I turbo my car or do an engine swap would be the only mods worth doing to maybe just beat him. This car isn't worth making fast.

People keep talking about exhaust/headers but they don't really improve performanece all that much. Plust they both void the warranty.

Use the car for what it's intended drive to work and back. Save your money for a fast car if you want a fast car

1 - 20 of 24 Posts