Hyundai Forum: Hyundai Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well see I have this problem, the headlights don't work nor do the dash lights. I'm about to die from pouring gas into this gas guzzling truck and running over curbs and never being able to get into that one parking space where the guy over parked his car on the line.

Please, please, please help me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
check all your fuses on the kicker panel(by your left foot) and the fuses under the hood

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the fuses are ok, the next place to look is the relays under the hood.

In most autos, the current needed to run the lights is too great to run through the light switch. What they do is use the switch on the steering column to turn on a relay. The relay is meant to handle all of the current that the lights need.

If I remember correctly, when you have the hood open and you are looking at the engine, there should be a black box to your right that contains the relays. Either on top or inside the cover should be diagram that denotes the relay positions.

Open the box, find the headlight/dashlight (if they are the same) relay and pull it out. It my be tough, wiggle it carefully while pulling up and it should come out. Check to make sure that all the connections on the relay and in the relay box are clean. If not, get some contact cleaner and apply. I like to install and remove the relay a few times while the cleaner is applied to scrub away any deposits.

Then reinstall the relay. Get someone to turn on and off the headlights (with the ignition on) and see if you hear any clicking. The relay should click on and off as the switch is turned on and off. If not, then some additional diagnostics is necessary.

As I see it, the relay itself, the ground circuit, light switch on the column or the signal wire to the relay could be the problems. While this may seem like a huge thing, with a little testing here and there, we should be able to get you up in no time.

When I get home from work tonight, I will check my Accent to see where the relays are located as well as where to check with a voltmeter to help you in your diagnostics.

Dean

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the fuses are ok, the next place to look is the relays under the hood.

In most autos, the current needed to run the lights is too great to run through the light switch. What they do is use the switch on the steering column to turn on a relay. The relay is meant to handle all of the current that the lights need.

If I remember correctly, when you have the hood open and you are looking at the engine, there should be a black box to your right that contains the relays. Either on top or inside the cover should be diagram that denotes the relay positions.

Open the box, find the headlight/dashlight (if they are the same) relay and pull it out. It my be tough, wiggle it carefully while pulling up and it should come out. Check to make sure that all the connections on the relay and in the relay box are clean. If not, get some contact cleaner and apply. I like to install and remove the relay a few times while the cleaner is applied to scrub away any deposits.

Then reinstall the relay. Get someone to turn on and off the headlights (with the ignition on) and see if you hear any clicking. The relay should click on and off as the switch is turned on and off. If not, then some additional diagnostics is necessary.

As I see it, the relay itself, the ground circuit, light switch on the column or the signal wire to the relay could be the problems. While this may seem like a huge thing, with a little testing here and there, we should be able to get you up in no time.

When I get home from work tonight, I will check my Accent to see where the relays are located as well as where to check with a voltmeter to help you in your diagnostics.

Dean
Thanks alot, they're in the same box as the under-hood fuses are. I don't know what a bad one looks like though. But yeah.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang I'm slow..
The lights didn't come on because the ignition wasn't turned on.
But I still have no dash lights.
Sooo.. Does anyone know how much a rheostat costs? Other than the $30 ones on eBay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering if you jumped the dimmer switch with just any wire for a temporary fix untill it gets inspected. Will that cause any damage? Seems like it would be just like having it turned all the way up to me..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was wondering if you jumped the dimmer switch with just any wire for a temporary fix untill it gets inspected. Will that cause any damage? Seems like it would be just like having it turned all the way up to me..
If that works, try it!
It couldn't hurt it, in fact maybe your dimmer is shot

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mhmm, I'm pretty sure it's the dimmer though. I'm just worried about getting too much current to the bulbs and them blowing and then I'll have more trouble to deal with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I replaced the dimmer switch/rheostat, and the lights don't work, so I checked to see if current was even getting to it, and it's not. So, that means I'm either going to have to spend alot of money getting someone else to fix it at a shop, or buy a steering wheel puller, and have a blast doing it myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts